I need advice choosing a good doctor for a rhinoplasty? (Photo)

My nose is humongous I hate it. Now that I'm 36 years old I'm brave enough to get it fix.

Thank you for your question and photograph.I would recommend when looking for a surgeon to perform your rhinoplasty that you choose one who is board certified and specializes in rhinoplasty. You may also want to look on the Rhinoplasty Society website as this lists the top surgeons in the world who specialize in noses. I would also look at the surgeon’s credentials, memberships, educational background, reviews and before and afters. Before and afters are a good indicator of their techniques and outcomes from rhinoplasty surgeries and reading reviews from other patients is a good way to see what their experience with the doctor was like. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a surgeon for rhinoplasty

I recommend you see 2 or more rhinoplasty surgeons specializing in this surgery.  You should evaluate their training, experience and of course their results looking for a natural appearance with their rhinoplasty patients.

J. Andrew Bartlett, MD, FRCS
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  You can start by googling board certified plastic surgeons in your area that specialize in facial plastic surgery and rhinoplasty.  Look at their websites before and after pictures.  Make sure you go on a few consultations and see which Dr you are comfortable with.  Make sure your goals are realistic. 
Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

I would recommend seeing a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty. Review his or her website & before & afters. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

The chosen one, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
I usually tell my patients that the first step for a safe plastic surgery is to choose a board certified aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon. This should have a personal website containing details of his professional biography and some photos of the procedures performed. Your plastic surgeon should be  transparent and a honest person with you, with ethical and human values, and especially with good reputation and history. Also, it's much better if this doctor have special training and experience in procedures like the one you're interested. Finally, i invite you to send your photos to give you more information of interest for you. Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-        

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

You can start by looking at the ASPS or ASAPS websites and finding a doctor near you. Best of luck..

Rhinoplasty surgeon

There are many fine surgeons in your area. Be sure they are board certified, have generally positive reviews and have enough pre/post nose photos that you like. It helps to "feel" confident/connected with the surgeon but that is less important than the result (other than connecting on the desired goals aspect).

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon can be a difficult task so here are a few points to consider.  Look for a surgeon who has dedicated a significant component of their practice to the discipline of rhinoplasty, performs them often on a weekly basis, and has done so for many years. Look at the surgeon's before and after photo gallery and make sure that it's extensive, and you like the results. A large photo gallery means the surgeon does lots of rhinoplasty procedures. Rhinoplasty is one of the most challenging procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so it is important to choose your surgeon based on extensive experience with the procedure.  A double board-certified ENT/facial plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in rhinoplasty would both be good choices. In addition, look at ratings, reviews, and testimonials.  It's also important to make sure the surgery is performed in a  certified and licensed outpatient surgery center  and  you are put to sleep by a board-certified physician anesthesiologist for the procedure. Also important to ask about open versus closed rhinoplasty and make sure there's no  painful packing placed on the inside of the nose after the surgery . For more information and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

I would not go into what your nose needs as this a discussion you should have with your chosen surgeon.  In looking for a surgeon take time to do your homework and seek out an experienced rhinoplasty specialist.  A facial plastic surgeon with speciality interest in rhinoplasty or a general plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty would be the right surgeon for you.  Consult a few surgeons and look at their pre and post pictures and not just computer imaging as this says nothing about the surgeons skills.  As this is the  most difficult procedure in  the face, it should not be undertaken by the occasional surgeon who dabbles in rhinoplasty.  The best rhinoplasty surgeons perform rhinoplasty almost exclusively in their practice.  Hope this is helpful

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD