I am 29 and starting to get liver spots on my arms from sun damage. If I have a treatment of fraxel or pixel will this help?

Will this also help prevent future signs of aging? I also have a large scar on my arm will having fraxel or pixel help diminish it any? How do I pick between fraxel/pixel or IPL?

The term "liver spots" covers a number of possible different diagnoses, each of which is best treated by a different laser (Nd: Yag versus IPL, but probably not fraxel) or even cryotherapy (light liquid nitrogen spray treatment). Only a board certified aesthetic dermatology can most accurately diagnose which exact condition your "liver spots" are and then suggest the most effective and customized treatment strategy.  

Miami Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. There are several different laser treatments that can help with your problem. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office for a treatment plan that is best for you.

Sun Spots and Laser Treatments

The sun spots that you are describing can be best be treated with using either the Fraxel laser or the Tri-vantage laser to remove these sun spots.  Many patients require a combination of lasers to best treat this type of sun damage.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with lasers for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Laser for brown spots and scar

Liver spots is a generic term.  Depending on the type of brown spots, and whether of your not you are looking for tightening for wrinkles as well, there may be other lasers such as Yag which would be suitable.  Be well.

Estee Williams, MD

FRaxel will help

A series of Fraxel treatments can greatly improve brown pigment and scarring. The severity of both conditions will determine how many treatments are needed. To compare Fraxel, Pixel and IPL, Fraxel and Pixel stimulate collagen and improve texture while IPL is more superficial and is best for removing brown pigment and small capillaries. As for future aging, the human body simply continues to age. A healthy, smoke-free lifestyle and use of quality skin care products with SPF will certainly help maintain youthful skin.

Fraxel DUAL laser for brown spots

The Fraxel DUAL laser is a great treatment for dark spots and can help minimize scars.  Avoidance of the sun will help prevent future signs of aging.  Consult a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon for treatment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Sun Spots on Arms

I find that skin care, lightening creams, and fraxel work best.  I would avoid co2 laser , but could consider individual spot treatment with liquid nitrogen or q switched/pico lasers in combination with your fraxels.  This is antiaging/preventative.  Best, Dr. Emer.