I am only 17 and my right eye has started drooping. What can I do about it?

A few weeks ago when i woke up my right eye would take longer to open and ajust and that hasn't gotten worse or anything and was only slight, but recently i've started noticing my right eye start to droop. The patch of skin above my right eyelid is also slightly swollen

Doctor Answers 4

Droopy lid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You should see an oculoplastic surgeon to evaluate the lid.  If it is drooping, you may have a ptosis which can be fixed surgically.  If it swollen, there may be something else going on which is causing the drooping.  

New onset ptosis should be assessed by an oculoplastic surgeon.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Please share your concern with your parents.  The American society for ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery maintains a regional directory that can help you find a highly qualified oculoplastic surgeon to assess what is going on. 

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Evaluation of eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You should see an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic specialist for evaluation and determining the cause. The solution is usually eyelid ptosis surgery.

Drooping eyelid in 17 year old in Houston. What can be done?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Unfortunately, there are many causes of eyelid swelling and drooping.  To figure out what is going on would require an appt.  I would suggest checking with Dr. Soparkar or Patrinely, who are in Houston.  Best regards.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.