I am 3 and 1/2 weeks post op BA / capsulotomy. I have a spot that is slow healing, is this normal? (photos)

The spot had a scab but Dr removed scab yesterday. I thought it looked ok until he removed scab.He has me applying bacitracin 2 times a day and covering with gauze.Does this wound look normal ? Should I let the wound air ? I took a round of antibiotics after the procedure. Should I do another round of antibiotics?

A slow healing incision

Thanks for your question and photos.

Your wound seems superficial.  However, implants are just deep to the incisions; you want to avoid any trauma, infection, or further dehiscence.  Please continue following up with your plastic surgeon closely and follow his post-op instruction.

Good luck with your recovery.

1 month post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I am 3 and 1/2 weeks post op BA / capsulotomy. I have a spot that is slow healing, is this normal?

Thank you for your question. Look like some healing issues. You are doing right thing following with your PS. Please follow closely with your PS

Wound problem post BBA

Hi

This does not look too serious and is probably a superficial wound infection relate to a buried suture knot.

It sounds like your PS is treating it well but be aware of any discharge or increasing swelling on your breast as this could be sign of something more serious and would need more urgent attention.

Best wishes 

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Slow healing

The wound should heal in 10 days to 2 weeks with your treatment. If you have already been taking oral antibiotics, you should keep close follow up with your surgeon. As long as the implant moves slightly and you do not have redness and pain, I would be regulalry cleaning the wound and applying bacitracin. 

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant healing

Thank you for the question and photos.  The most important part of the wound healing process is to make sure that the implant is ok and not exposed or infected.  Superficial wounds will heal if given the chance and any scar that needs to be revised can be done so fairly easily under local anesthesia.  An implant infection on the other hand is more serious and would require more work to save it or to repair if it required removal.  I would touch base with your plastic surgeon regularly and make sure that the implant is safe and secure.

Good luck with your healing journey,

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Wound Care

If you saw your Doctor just yesterday it sounds as though you are being followed up closely. I recommend that you follow their instructions and if you have ongoing concerns, see them in person again.

All the best

Post Op Wound

Thank you for your question and the pictures. The open area appears to be superficial and does not appear to be draining anything concerning. As your surgeon has recommended, I would continue to apply bacitracin to keep the area moist (a moist wound will heal faster than one that is allowed to dry out). Your wound does not appear to be infected. Signs of infection include redness around the wound, with tenderness and possible fevers and chills. Keep the area covered and clean.  Good luck!

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Wound after surgery

The wound appears to be superficial. I would recommend keeping the area clean and continuing to apply the bacitracin as your doctor recommended. If you notice the redness start to spread or develop a fever or chills, I would not hesitate to contact your doctor to be evaluated immediately. Good luck with healing.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Spot that is slow healing

Thank you for your question and photographs.  You photographs indicate that you are healing normally.  Best to continue to follow the advice of your plastic surgeon.  Best of luck.