Breast Revision and Lift 20 months post-op, are these scars hypertrophic or keloid? Is there a way to remove them? (photos)

I am 20 months post op. Initially tried steroid injections, cream and silicone tape. Now considering surgical treatment. My question is this Keloid or Hypotropic scar? The scars around d the areola are just as bad. Is there a certain surgical technique that can give better result. I am ready to do something!

Poor scars after anchor lift

Thank you for asking about your breast lift.

• I am so sorry about your scars. 
  • You do not have keloids - your scars are hyper-pigmented (brown), thick (hypertrophic) and wide.
  • There are many things that lead to such scars - tension on the incisions, suture reaction, how you heal and location of the scars. 
  • The breast crease is well-known to heal with such scars - the chief disadvantage of the anchor lift.
  • I suggest that you carefully plan with your surgeon ways to reduce the darkening before the surgery (e.g. 4% hydroquinone x x day over the scars for six weeks before scar revision), using only internal sutures, topical silicone pads from the start or even the Embrace system, 5FU or steroid injections promptly if scars start to thicken and laser treatment in 6 months if the scars are still red.
  • Your surgeon may have additional suggestions
  • Unfortunately even with the most thorough and careful approach, if this is how you heal the result may disappoint you but it is important to see what can be done.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS