I went from size 18 down to 10, but i've still got lots of back fat. Can I get it removed? (photos)

I am a 30 y/o aa woman with no children. When I was younger I was larger. My largest was size 18 (205-210lbs). Now I am in a size 10 and even some 8s but, after all that I am left with back fat galore. I wanted to know how difficult it would be to have it lipo out. I am not sure if a doctor could get my back flat but, I would like some of these rolls gone by next July.

Updated: Photos added.

Back Roll Correction

You have some excess fat, but mainly excess skin.  The excess skin is there because you lost a lot of weight and dropped your dress size (good work!) so much

To correct this, the skin needs to be pulled down and tightened, and some of the excess fat can also be removed.

Fat removal by liposuction alone offers a simple surgery with less downtime, but nowhere near as satisfactory a  result. 

Back fat

Based on your photos and weight loss history, I would suspect your problem is more about loose/excess skin than excess fat.  Accordingly, you may benefit more from a skin excision procedure, and liposuction alone may actually make you look worse.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Back rolls after weight loss

Thank you for your liposuction question.
  • Well done on your weight loss!
  • Your photos suggest that you have some residual fat and even more residual skin,
  • I suggest you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss a combination of liposuction and an upper back lift - which removes that skin excess.
  • This will give you a much flatter back.
  • No office treatment can correct the problem - save your money. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Treating back fat

Back that can be very challenging. Like other areas of the body it really depends on how much skin laxity you have versus just additional fatty tissue.
Your options are:
1). Noninvasive fat reduction using techniques like cool sculpting.
This will not give you any skin tightening.
 2). Liposuction to reduce the amount of fat that you have on your back. This will have minimal impact on skin tightening 
3). Slimlipo out the back will reduce fat and also tighten a moderate degree of skin
4). Upper back lift with liposuction.  This will give you the greatest amount of fat reduction and skin type. Incision line is typically hidden in the bra area. The excess skin is removed and your back becomes much flatter has a result.  This however is the procedure with the greatest amount of downtime and visible scarring.

Large weight loss patients do best with surgery - #plasticsurgery

Most patients who have had a large weight loss and have extra skin as well as fat do best with surgery to excise the problem area.  The patient's skin has lost elasticity  and may not respond well to minimal techniques.  If you take out fat and do not shrink or cut out skin, you just get more unsightly folds under your clothes.  It is a simple cost /  benefit decision - scar versus contour?

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon

Treating back fat galore

I have found that when treating fat in the back, it's important to consider the overlying skin. I have found that a combination of VASER and SmartLipo technologies to be helpful in tightening the skin of the back while also having success at removing the fat.  Hope that helps.

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Bodyreshaping

There are a number of ways to reshape your body.  There are traditional methods like liposuction and there are newer methods that are FDA approved and noninvasive like Cool Sculping.  I have several back images listed on my page that you might find helpful.

Back Fat Treatment Options

I suggest posting a photo for us to give advice.  Unfortunately without one, there isnt much we can offer.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lipo

Liposuction could always be done but the real question is what would the aesthetic result be like and for that a full examination is needed

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

The bra rolls and waist generally do quite well with liposuction.

Generally the skin of the bra roll and waist area response favorably after liposuction even in very heavy patients. Without a photograph I cannot comment specifically on you but in general I think you would be a good candidate for liposuction.