Gynecomostia opinions and what needs to be corrected to get a flatter male looking chest. (Photo)

I'm going in to see a plastic surgeon in Houston in a few weeks for the first time for my embarrassing chest and would like some opinions on what needs to be done from other surgeons. I have high ESTRADIOL, ULTRASENSITIVE LC/MS/MS and I'm currently taking testosterone and don't want my gynecomostia coming back if I get this surgery done.

Gynecomastia Surgical Techniques

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case.

The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period.

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Appear to be good candidate

Dear stdttv12,

Your pictures look like you would be an excellent candidate for gynecomastia surgery. It is the most common procedure we do in my practice. We have developed a technique where you would have no scar on the chest, and it is all done through a remote incision under the arm without any drainage tubes. You look young, and your skin tone looks good, so it should recoil nicely and redrape. Before surgery a little more information would need to be obtained regarding your hormone status and treatment.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Gynecomastia Houston, TX

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia options

I do think you would be a great candidate for liposuction of the chest along with the possibility of a peri-areolar resection of glandular tissue if the liposuction is insufficient to get the shape and contour you are looking for.  In addition, it is important to make sure that your estradiol levels are in check before proceeding to minimize the chance of additional breast tissue development.

Gynecomastia options

I generally try to stratify gynecomastia into three (or four) types:  those needing liposuction only (which can be "underwhelming" since much of what someone has may be breast tissue), nipple reduction/minor repositioning and/or addressing a retroareolar mass or fullness with subareolar excision, some combination of those two, or aggressive direct excision of skin and breast/fatty tissue with significant repositioning of the nipple, resulting in an anchor scar (which I do believe gets the most dramatic results, but the trade-off is more extensive scars).  I suppose it does matter how much you react to those hormone treatments/levels, but I would probably recommend the aggressive/direct excision approach if you want to be as (naturally) flat as possible, and not worrying about residual tissue "returning" with respect to hormonal reactivity (since a minimal amount would remain).  Best of luck!