Gynecomastia surgery performed 2 months ago and I look worse. What should I do?

I'm having some trouble with my post op. I'm 2 months out from surgery for gynecomastia and lipo, but I still have big ole puffy nipples. It bothered me so much I scheduled an appointment with my ps before necessary to discuss. He told me I look great and don't worry about it. Well, I would if I didn't stick out more than before. I also have some slight pain in both sides. my surgeon just cut pieces out, unlike videos I've seen. Any input on what I should and can do would be appreciated.

Healing and Recovery After Your Gynecomastia Procedure

Your #incisions will go through a maturation process after #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.  Also, #asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery due to the nature of each breast to heal differently from each other.

As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia

It is difficult to determine as swelling may last several months.

I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns, in a couple months.

Take care.

Nipple swelling

You are still early post-op and you have to give it more time for the swelling to subside. It might take 4-6 months. 

Puffy nipples

Thank you for the question but N examine is really needed so see another expert in the area for a second opinion

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD