Will I need gynecomastia surgery and a breast lift? Significant weight loss (Photo)

Hello! I am looking for some assistance as to what type of surgery I will need. I have lost over 140 pounds over the course of 2 years. Docs, Any recommendations? Is there a way my incisions could be hidden? (under the armpit, maybe?) I am in Houston and if I find a doctor that is experienced in significant weight loss patients, I am more than willing to schedule an appointment to see what you can do. Thank you greatly! Jerald

Complex case you need the best,most experience gynecomastia surgeon

To correct the gynecomastia and improve the true gynecomastia your only option is surgical excision of the gland.DON'T COMPROMISE,you need the most experienced surgeon for better results 

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Techniques

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Additionally, changes in weight may also have an effect.

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case.

Also, men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped. This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in your gynecomastia condition.

Hello and thank you for posting photos along with your question. Congrats on your weight loss! Losing 140lbs is pretty amazing! When it comes to males that feel like they have a feminine appearing chest there are many surgical options one can perform. Some very common options are as follows (simplified):

1) Liposuction alone

2) Gland removal alone

3) Liposuction and gland removal

4) Breast lift

5) Liposuction, excision of excess skin and free nipple graft

I perform many of the above operations pretty frequently except for breast lifts in men. I don't perform breast lifts in men very often because I feel that at times that can lead to coning of the breast tissue and still give it a feminine appearance. Based on your photos, I would probably suggest liposuction, excision of excess skin and free nipple graft. The incisions for this surgery are around the nipple and along your bottom chest crease. The liposuction would give you a much flatter chest but then you would likely be left with extra skin which is why you would need the excision of this skin. Please make sure you are evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon!

Ankur Mehta MD

Board Certified in plastic surgery by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Sugar Land, Tx

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Will I need gynecomastia surgery and a breast lift?

Congratulations on your very significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment! Given your history of weight loss and the presence of "excess skin", you will likely benefit from breast lifting type surgery.  In my practice, I find the best outcomes for patients in your situation are achieved using nipple/areola  grafting techniques (avoiding a vertical scar).  Nevertheless, the downside associated with chest wall surgery in your case will be the presence of some scars; the procedure cannot be performed utilizing incisions in the axillary area…

You are correct in that careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.  Make sure that he/she is a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate lots of examples achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find attached link helpful to you as you learn more.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on losing 140 lbs.  It is hard to tell if you still have breast tissue or not but you do have excess skin.  In men who have lost this much weight and loose skin, just removing the fat or breast tissue may not accomplish what you want.  When skin is removed or a lift is done on men the scars tend not to turn out well. In your situation, you might want to remove the fat and breast tissue and let the skin shrink for 6-12 months then if there is still loose skin a lesser skin reduction can be done with hopefully less scaring.  I would recommend you get several consults and ask question about experience with this type of surgery.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon