Is gynecomastia always correctable for good? (Photo)

I had gynecomastia corrective surgery 6 weeks ago. Lipo and gland excision was performed. I expected much better results and am now disappointed with the surgery. The doc said to give it more time but I fear there will be no major improvement from here as all swelling has subsided. In my opinion there is very little improvement. Is all gyno correctable? Is there anything else I can do to rid myself of this problem? Thank you.

Post Gynecomastia Surgery Results

Dear AnonymousHouston,

It would be helpful to see your before pictures. It is not possible to say with 100% certainty by photographs, but it looks like you still have glandular tissue left behind. An actual physical exam would be more telling. If the tissue has not been completely removed, then this is not a matter of swelling. It would need to be redone.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

The Lasting Effects of Gynecomastia Surgery & Revisions

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. 
Therefore, weight gain, steroid use,recreational drug use and have hormonal conditions can contribute to a return of gynecomastia regardless of previous surgical removal and treatments.
Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Gynecomastia re-occuring

Familial gynecomastia where most of the male breast tissue is removed generally has long lasting results without recurrence as long as your weight remains the same. However, other causes of gynecomastia if still present can cause the residual breast tissue to grow again. For example THC (frequent use of marijuana), certain medications, hormonal imbalance, and other causes can make that happen

Is gynecomastia always correctable for good?

The vast majority of gynecomastia surgeries are correctable for good. You should not have anything to worry about. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and photos. Sometimes a revision is required to perform further tissue removal and liposuction, however it is a bit too soon to assess your results. You may not feel that you have swelling but at 6 weeks, you likely do. I recommend that you try to be patient for another month or two, then visit your Plastic Surgeon to reassess and talk about further tissue removal if warranted.

All the best

Final Result?

Thank you for your pictures.  I would ask you to wait an additional six weeks then judge the results.  You may need a revision if you are not happy with the results 6 weeks from now. 

At 6 weeks it is too soon to judge the final results.  It is normal to experience swelling for several weeks.  Ask your surgeon for his recommendation regarding the compression garment.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Is Gynecomastia Permanently Correctable?

Many patients are concerned about their results at 6 weeks, but we almost always see continued improvement.Complete resolution from the procedure can take 4-6 months. Some patients do need revision procedures but you may want to give this some more time before you judge the final results.

I think more improvement is possible. You may in fact see some more improvement with time alone as more swelling resolves.  However, if these pictures are at 6 weeks postoperative, it appears that your chest contour might also benefit from additional contouring and possibly also some superior skin excision to elevate the position of the nipple/areola complex.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD