Do i need a full tummy tuck or partial? (photos)

I have 3 children which 2 were via c-section would i need a full or partial tummy tuck? Or is there any other way to make this loose skin tighten up

Full tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photos. I would certainly suggest a full tummy tuck as it will allow you to tighten ALL your abdominal wall muscles (which you often need after having children), which is the true benefit of a full abdominoplasty. Plicating or tightening your abdominal muscles is the only way to narrow your waist for a more dramatic result.  A mini-tummy tuck traditionally only gets rid of the lower skin and perhaps some muscle tightening and very few patients are good candidates for this. Based on your photos, you have some upper abdominal laxity that would benefit from full muscle tightening and this, with lower skin removal with a full tummy tuck, would be an excellent option for you. Consulting with and being examined by a board certified plastic surgeon will help guide you in the right direction. Best wishes!

Dr. Kristi Hustak

Full tummy tuck.

Thanks for your question and photos.Based on your photos, you would have a better result with full tummy tuck combined with liposuction of the waists and flanks.Please consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to make sure that you are a good candidate for tummy tuck.  A good candidate for tummy tuck is someone who 1) has reached his/her stable goal weight, 2) is medically, socially, and physically optimized, and 3) does not have excessive intra-abdominal fat.Best wishes.

Difficult to Ascertain W/O Exam

Dear kbj91, You did not mention your height or weight, and although every answer thus far has enthusiastically endorsed a full tummy tuck, I am a little concerned that you have a lot of the fat positioned intra-abdominally. That is to say, within the abdominal muscles. If my impression is correct, it is going to be difficult to get much tightening with the muscles. This is something that can really only be determined with consultation in person. I would urge a little bit of caution before you can be assessed in person. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Full Tummy Tuck needed to create flat abdominal silhouette

Thank you for your question.It appears you will benefit mostly from a full TT with mesh to regain a feminine silhouette. Mesh has been used routinely in general surgery for years to repair abdominal hernias. After multiple pregnancies, your abdominal wall is weakened by tears in your fascia creating the abdominal 'bulge' women hate. Tears or injury to the fascia is what also leads to hernias. A TT with mesh reinforcement restores your abdominal wall to a pre-pregnancy state as well as help you loose extra weight. Most of my patients do not need the added cost of liposuction to create the cinched waist appearance. I hope this helps.Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck best for loose skin after pregnancies

There are several variations on tummy tucks depending on the specific situation. In your case, a full tummy tuck is likely to be best.

Richard Baxter, MD

Do i need a full tummy tuck or partial?

Thank you for the question and pictures.  You will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck (standard or extended) surgery; definitive advice however would necessitate much more information. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently. For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link and video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Do i need a full tummy tuck or partial?

Thank you for your question. Based on the pictures you need a full tummy tuck and lipo to give optimal results. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Full Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photos. You look like a good candidate for a full tummy tuck to  remove the excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and to restore the weakened abdominal wall, giving a firmer and smoother appearance. We nearly always add liposuction to our tummy tucks to sculpt the body 360 degrees to achieve an ideal feminine figure.  Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure. 

100% Traditional full tummy tuck with muscle plication

It is really hard to give advice without examining patients with regards to abdominoplasties and the many permutations and “versions” of them that get offered to patients.  Briefly, if you have excess skin or laxity in your skin and fat, removal of that tissue would be of benefit.  If your muscle contour is not what it used to be or it not optimal, a procedure to tighten your “core” may be necessary.  This is especially important in the post-pregnancy population as during your pregnancy, your muscles were forced to adapt to a growing baby inside.  Most times, those muscles don’t  go exactly back to where they were before.  Some come back really darn close, but rarely to their exact pre-pregnancy position.  If you don’t have the musculature issues addressed, and you only have the skin and subcutaneous tissues removed, your contour will not be optimal and I believe you will be dissatisfied with your results.  It’s paramount to fix the foundation (the musculature) before building the house. The next question to address is what to do with your belly button.  Depending on the amount of upper abdominal laxity, you may have your belly button brought through a new place in your skin (belly button stays where it is on your abdominal wall, but by stretching skin downwards, it needs to come out in a new place or it would look tethered and not natural) or you  may need to leave it where it is or potentially “float” it down the abdominal wall an inch or two (it actually ends up being lower on your torso than where it started).  Decisions about pre-surgery position of your belly button and tradeoffs between potential scar placement vs. keeping your belly button in a naturally-appearing position are used to determine that.  As you can see, there are lots to consider when discussing abdominoplasties.  You really need to discuss all of these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon and see pictures of their results. Who cares if someone does “drainless tummy tucks” if their results do not look great.  Likewise, tummy tucks that are done overly tight do not look natural and defeat the purpose of having your abdomen rejuvenated in the first place.  What good is getting a tummy tuck if you aren’t excited to show it off?  Hope this helps! -JGH

What does my tummy need

Hello and thank you for your question and for posting your photos! I think you would be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck! The way that I typically perform my tummy tuck is by combining liposuction with the tummy tuck which I think can achieve far superior results than tummy tuck alone! You do have some fullness to your abdomen and hips so lipo would be great to help carve you out in these areas and improve your silhouette! 
The full tummy tuck would be great for you because it appears that you have some looseness of the abdominal muscles (which happens quite frequently after having kids) and excess skin to the abdomen. With lipo and a full tummy tuck your abdomen gets flattened by 3 things....1. Liposuction will decrease the thickness of your abdomen which will make it look flatter2. Your abdominal muscles will be tightened which makes the abdomen look even flatter3. All the skin below the belly button gets removed (including the stretch marks!) and the skin above the belly button is made tighter so the abdomen looks even flatter!
With a mini tummy tuck you would still have fullness....the only thing that will change is the extra skin that is over your C-section scar.
These are my opinions based on the photos you have shown, but obviously the only way to give the best recommendations is by an in person consultation/evaluation. Please make sure you are evaluated by  a board certified plastic surgeon! I hope this helped and I wish you the best of luck in your journey!
Ankur Mehta MD
Sugar Land, TxBoard Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon