Not sure if I would need a full tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck. Any suggestions? (photo)

Full tummy tuck

Hi, tmarie86
Thanks for your question and photos.
You seem to be in a great shape.  
Based on your photo, you have excess skin in both the upper and lower abdomen.
You will most likely have a better result with full tummy tuck.
Please consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated in-person.
Best regards.

Not sure if I would need a full tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck

Looking at your pictures, I think a mini tummy tuck would leave you with loose and wrinkled skin above the level of your belly button. I would suggest a full tummy tuck in your case

Julio Garcia, MD

Full tummy tuck better than mini with loose skin above belly button

Your picture shows quite a lot of loose skin extending into the upper abdomen, so a mini will not be much help. In general a mini only improves the lower abdomen. 

Richard Baxter, MD

Mini vs full tt

You look like you are in great shape! but this extra skin has to go! only a full tt will get all that skin off.  you would be greatly disappointed with the extra loose skin above the belly button if you chose a mini.  

Please make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.

Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Full tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck.

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture you probably need full tummy tuck. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Full or mini Tummy tuck?

Thank you fr your question. Tummy tuck surgery is one of our favorite operations because of the dramatic improvements abdominoplasty patients achieve.
There are various types of abdominoplasty procedures for patients to choose from. Each one is designed to treat a specific set of needs. In consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon, the choice of procedure will be made based on your anatomic features and desired outcome. While all tummy tucks have in common that they tighten the abdominal skin, there are two key differences between the various procedures. The incision lengths vary depending on the amount of skin to be excised, and the abdominal muscles may be tightened if they have excess laxity. A consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure will be the best way to determine which one is the right one for you.

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

It appears as though you may be a better candidate for a full tummy tuck, but I recommend scheduling a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your different options. 

Best of Luck, 

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Full Vs Mini Tummy Tuck

Looking at your photos, it seems you have enough excess skin to do a  full tummy tuck.  The smaller or "mini" surgeries do have a shorter scar,  but often fail to correct the excess skin adequately.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Full tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck?

There are a variety of tummy tucks that can produce a good cosmetic result in the appropriate patient: a mini tummy tuck, a modified with an umbilical float, or a variety of a full abdominoplasty, all of which may, or may not, include tightening of the muscle and liposuction. Generally if there is significant loose skin above the umbilicus (belly button), a full tummy tuck will result in a greater correction and better outcome.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon