What can be done for my lip lines, if anything? (photos)

Just started noticing lip lines and would like to know if Juvederm above the lips would help? Would Juvederm above the upper lip also plump up upper lip?

Upper lip lines

There is good news and bad news here.  

The bad is that your lines are deep, and your upper lip is long.  People with this combination can get an overhanging, prominent, Homer Simpson type of upper lip if treatment is not performed carefully.  You may not be able to get complete correction with fillers alone without looking strange.

The good news is that you can improve this situation if you can be patient and find someone to work with who understands the issues.  If you are smoking, it is imperative to stop, and you must use sunscreen daily if you are not already. You should start using topicals that increase collagen such as Retin A or a properly formulated retinol cream, as well as glycolic acid.  More importantly, the filler, Beketero or Juvederm Ultra, should be placed in the upper lip itself first, which can often help upper lip lines, along with a little Botox to the upper lip to evert it and smooth the lines. Possibly a small amount of filler should be placed under the base of your nose as well. Only then should the lines themselves be filled, very conservatively, with #Beletero.

Find an advanced injector who is board-certified in dermatology or plastic surgery.

What can be done for my lip lines, if anything?

Lip fillers such as Belotero®, Juvederm® or Volbella® are ideally suited to correct lip asymmetries and fill in indentations. As this is an advanced procedure, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation. 

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Upper Lip Lines

You could use a combination of botox and filler for the lines around the mouth commonly known as "smokers lines" . Its best to use a thin filler as the injections around the mouth are superficial. Volbella would be a good choice to treat that area.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Filler for wrinkles around the mouth

Generally speaking, yes you can have Juvederm injected to the wrinkles around the mouth, however that may not be the best filler for your concerns. I usually inject a product called Belotero to the wrinkles around the mouth.

Belotero is specifically designed to integrate into your skin and mold to your facial contours making an excellent choice for around the mouth or for lines on the forehead. Belotero give you immediate smooth and natural results that can last up to 9 months.

If filler is injected above the lip it does not affect the shape or size of the lip. I do recommend Juvederm or Restylane in the lip itself if you wanted to “plump” your upper lip.

Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see if this filler will work for your concerns.

For more information on Belotero click link below:

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip lines

Thank your for your question. A combination of Belotero (thin filler) and a low dose of Botox will be great for that area. Call us for a free consultation for further evaluation 310-204-2914

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Lip line correction

The patient has early vertical lines in the upper lip. Both laser as well as hyaluronic acid (Juvederm or Restylane) can help perioral lines. The can laser help by tightening as well as generating new collagen while the filler material adds volume. There are possible complications to both these procedures are should be discussed before undertaking treatment.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

What can be done to treat lip lines?

There are a few option available to minimize the lines around the mouth. They can certainly be filled with Hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm. I also like to use Artefill which is collagen based filler with lasting results of at least 5 years. It can be placed into the lines. Juvederm can also be used to plump up the lips. Botox is sometimes used as well to prevent the puckering movement that creates these wrinkles. At times a combinations of both filler and Botox is used to achieve the best cosmetic result.

Tatiana Khrom, MD

YES! Any HA filler could improve the issues you are writing/asking about. Seek expert injecting doctor... 

Many women have the vertical lip lines...and hate them!  Yes, filling the lip with some type of filler such as Restylane or Juvederm Ultra will help.  I also use a diluted amount of Botox in the area to reduce the lines.

How to treat lip lines

For lip lines I have found the InMode Fractora system to be amazing. I often don't have to do fillers on people in this area after doing this treatment for them. Additionally, the technology is quite advanced for fractional lasers and so there is no color issues with just treating a small area. The benefit is that you will see the results over time, as collagen builds for about 6 months after the treatment, and it's your own collagen rebuilding. I think this is the best solution, though fillers like Juvederm can also be done. It wouldn't plump the upper lip unless you had some Juvederm put in there also.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."