Follow-up to original Juvaderm allergy question

I wanted to specify that I did NOT get 1 syringe in my top lip. That amount was spread across both lips. The area that she hit began to swell and bruise immediately. The swelling spread from top left quadrant along the entire top lip. Thanks!

This question is a follow-up to:Juvederm allergy and hematoma? (photo)

Hello Nj84,

With the degree of swelling you had it is always best to be evaluated.  Your response would not be considered an allergic reaction as that manifests with itching, hives/rash, in addition to swelling.  Others have mentioned angioedema which is an exceedingly rare diagnosis, but not completely out of the realm of possibility.  However, if you also had filler in your lower lip then the reaction would not have been simply confined to the upper lip but both would have been involved.  For safety, it is best to be evaluated by your injecting physician to make sure something serious isn't going on given your degree of swelling, but most likely this represents the bruise that you noticed immediately causing significant swelling.  In the future, I'd recommend you only receive injections from one of the core aesthetic physician injectors (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, dermatologist). 

I hope this helps and good luck.  

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Abnormal swelling after Juvederm - Angioedema

I still believe this is angioedema and needs high doses of steroids. This is way too much swelling for 1 syringe and the bruising is not out of control.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Still Swollen--Swelling after lip augmentation (Juvederm Restylane)

Thanks for following up. I would still have it checked by your Dr. to confirm it is normal swelling. It can be reversed if necessary and a different technique can be used next time. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer