Is it necessary to get fat grafts during a facelift?

I have gone for consultations and the 3 surgeons stated that they always do fat grafts. I don't think I need it. My weight is 210 and has been for 35 years. I am 5'7" with no health problems except hashimotos disease Since 1994.

Typically, it is not necessary to perform fat grafting during facelift procedures.  However, often the addition of fat augmentation can provide more youthful and longer lasting results.  It is important to realize that many times facial rejuvenation is not just about lifting but also about "re-volumizing".

The attahced link provides more information.

Fat grafts

No it is not. Of course, neither is a face lift necessary. Often times, volume replacement can add to the final result in very nice ways. It really is whether or not YOU will meaningfully benefit that is important. If your surgeon cannot seem to justify them other than to say "I always do them", you may want to get another opinion.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Are fat grafts necessary with a facelift?

No.  Fat grafts are not necessary. but may compliment your facelift.  In certain parts of the face volume may be beneficial to enhance your results.  Fat grafts offer volume replacement.

Please discuss this issue with your surgeon prior to surgery.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I need Fat Transfer with Facelift

Facial aging occurs from loose/redundant skin, skin surface aging, and loss of volume. Which of these or all three depends on your needs. Find the best plastic surgeon with the most experience and follow their best advice or if still not sure consider fillers to see if you like the look. Fillers can always be replaced with fat transfer later. 

Fat grafting with face lift

It is not necessary to perform fat grafting along with a face lift.  However, the results of a face lift can be even more impressive when combined with fat grafting as it helps to give a more youthful appearance.  

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

No it's not necessary but it often improves the result

It's interesting that in the 30+ years that I have been doing facelifts, the philosophy and approach has changed significantly. We now know that not only does your skin loses elasticity as you age but also you lose fat volume cheeks. That's why fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm have become so popular for adding volume. One of the other approaches is to use your own fat by harvesting a small amount from the belly during the facelift procedure. Not all the fat that's injected survives but usually about 50-60% does. It's an option that I offer to buy patients and most of them agree to it because they want to get the best result they can

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Fat grafts during facelifts

I think that the results are nearly always better if fat grafting is performed. that is because a big part of facial aging is fat loss, so that just tightening skin and muscle wont give a natural result. even in heavier patients, they often still need fat grafting in areas of fat loss.
Listen to your doctors!

Are Fat Grafts Necessary for a Facelift?

Dear springroll, no, fat grafts are not at all necessary for a facelift. Ultimately, the decision comes down to you whether you want more volume in the face and deem fat grafts necessary – a surgeon can only strongly urge you to have fat grafts, but then again only if you are aiming to replenish lost volume. I would suggest going to theAmerican Society of Plastic Surgeons website and looking for a surgeon in your area who specializes in facelifts. No surgeon should force you to have a fat graft when you do not deem it necessary for your desired results.

Fat grafts with facelift

Fat grafting can help augment volume depletion in the face but is not necessary. A proper deep plane facelift can also improve volume without fat grafting. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Volume (fat) loss as a part of aging

Based on our current knowledge of very complicated process of aging, a loss of volume (fat) in certain areas of the face is universal part of facial aging. It may not be equally visible on every face, in particular fuller face like yours, but it is present most frequently around eyes and cheek/eyelid junction. For that reason, volume replacement with fat grafting became a part of facial rejuvenation during face lift in many practices.

However, needs and goals of patients are individual and selection of the procedures should be based on  clinical evaluation and patient's acceptance of proposed procedure. Placement of fat grafts is not mandatory during face lift and can be done as a secondary procedure if needed. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon