Do I still have extra skin? (Photo)

I am 3 month post op I had a tummy tuck, muscle repair and lipo in the back and flanks, but I feel like my stomach still has extra skin because I can still see roll on my sides and when I sit down. Any thoughts

Extra skin

Thank you for question along with your photos! Photos are very helpful but seeing before photos gives a lot of important information as well. Everyone has that extra skin hanging over when they sit. That is something that is hard to get rid of completely! The only way to really tell if some extra fat that needs to be re-liposuctioned or extra skin that needs to be removed is by evaluating you in person. You are still at 3 months so you probably want to wait till at least the 6 month mark to see if you undergo any more "shrinking."If I feel that one has extra skin and fat that extends to their sides/lower back area then I recommend 1 out of 2 things based on the patient. I either recommend a belt lipectomy, which takes the abdominoplasty incision all the way around to the back. Extra skin and fat is removed not only from the abdominal area but also the hips and flanks. The other option is for "extended" abdominoplasty. This involves taking the abdominoplasty incision as far as I can take it without going on to the back. This allows tightenting the skin of the sides a little better after the extra skin is reomoved. You should definitely have a conversation with your plastic surgeon and let them know about your concern to see what their recommendations are. Hope this helps and best of luck!
Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Do I still have extra skin?

It's common to have some loose skin when you sit down. If after 6 months you find that the skin is still loose when you stand, you may want to consider more surgery. Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Do I still have extra skin?

Everyone has some lose skin when they are sitting as it take more skin to cover the abdomen when we are standing fully erect. Even very thin people have lose skin when they are sitting. It does look like you may have some excess fat underneath the skin and may benefit from some more liposuction, but should wait at least 6 months after your tummy tuck before undergoing any sort of revision. Have you brought your concerns up with your plastic surgeon?

Too much skin left over?

First, I think you had a very nice job done, but if you're unhappy you should talk to your doctor. Sometimes more skin can be removed, but remember that all people have some skin hanging over when they sit down... even those Olympic athletes we saw recently. Also consider getting some liposuction to minimize that excess skin appearance. Good luck!

Scott W. Harris, MD, FACS