When getting an extended Tummy tuck do they normally do Lipo there too or do you have to ask for lipo sculpture?

Lips with Extended Tummy Tuck

Extended abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back.) 

Additional procedures that may enhance the result are Liposuction, Breast Procedures, or Thigh Lift. Mommy makeovers usually include multiple operations.  Brazilian “butt enhancement” can be done at the same time to provide best body contours. Arm reduction or brachiaplasty is also common. 

Lipo and tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question! Whether a plastic surgeon does lipo and tummy tuck at the same time really depends on the plastic surgeon and what they feel comfortable with. When I perform my tummy tucks I almost always incorporate liposuction. I believe the results I am able to obtain with liposuction and tummy tuck together are far superior to just tummy tuck alone. Doing liposuction and tummy tuck together is more involved than just tummy tuck alone so you want to make sure that your plastic surgeon has done many of these before without major complications. Also, make sure you are being evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps! 

Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land, Tx

Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Generally speaking, liposuction is a tool that is often used during the time of tummy tuck surgery. Different plastic surgeons utilize this tool differently; some are more “aggressive” than others. In my practice, I frequently utilize this tool to treat adipose tissue of the flanks and pubic areas during the tummy tuck procedures.

In your case specifically, whether or not you should undergo liposuction surgery will depend mainly on your goals;  if you are concerned about adipose tissue of the flank or back areas, best to have the liposuctioning performed. 

I would suggest you spend additional time discussing your goals, plans, and expectations directly with your plastic surgeon, in front of a full length mirror.  Working together you will come up with the best plan to achieve the desired outcome.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy Tuck and Lipo?

Hi 1984shay

If lipo is needed it is done regardless if it is an extended or regular tummy tuck.  Check with your surgeon to see if he charges for the lipo. I include lipo of the flank area at no extra charge.

Best of luck

sek

Multiple procedures, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for the procedures you want at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal.
Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree.
Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

#tummytuck #extendedtummytuck #liposuction #liposculpture

In almost all extended tummy tuck procedures, I will do liposculpting to help improve contour for the hips, flanks and lower back.

This is a question best directed to your plastic surgeon of choice.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Extended Tummy Tuck

As has been stated before, this procedure is customized to provide optimal results for each individual paitent.  An integral part of this operation is removing excess fat in the abdomen and surrounding areas (if needed).  There are two basic methods of removing fat.  It may be removed directly with scissors or other cutting devices. Alternatively, it may be removed by suction using a thin metal tube.  Both methods work very well and have their own advantages and disadvantages.  After a careful physical examination, your Plastic Surgeon can formulate a plan that will optimize your post operative results based on your specific abdominal configuration.

Liposuction with tummy tucks

Liposuction in some form is almost always performed with a tummy tuck, if only to reduce the potential for dog ear deformities at the edge of the incision.

There is no 'usual' in this surgery; doctors often have different paradigms.  The patient should ask questions so they have a full understanding of what procedure is to be performed, where the liposculpture is to be performed, what areas are covered, etc.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Thanks for your question. It is rare that liposuction is not done with circumferential abdominoplasty as an adjunct to defining the waistline. Charges are based on volume, time, areas to address, etc. Your surgeon or the coordinator can probably clarify. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Lipo With Tummy Tuck

I include lipo. of the abdomen and waist with all my tummy tucks if needed. Other areas, like the thighs, back, or hips are typically an extra charge.  Be sure to clarify with your surgeon exactly which areas are going to be worked on.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS