Are there any exercises to avoid after a successful BA?

Once the doctor allows a patient to resume regular exercise and there are no restrictions...are there any exercises to avoid changing a successful breast augmentation? Are there any exercises that may change the position of the implant or how the implant looks? Thanks in Advance!

Post Op Workout

Thank you for your question. It will depend on what type of exercise you are planning to resume. It is best to wait atleast 6 weeks following surgery. Below guidelines may help you:

Any upper-body exercises are not allowed at least 2 weeks after the surgery. After your sutures are out, between seven to fourteen days after surgery, you can become more active, but start with lower body. A good example of lower body workout are leg lifts, lunges, and controlled squats for rotating set of three at twenty to thirty repetitions a pop. All exercises should be without weights. Do not exceed thirty minutes of this kind of bodywork. It will exhaust your body and possibly hinder your healing or make your body more vulnerable to injury or infection. In addition, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph at this stage.

At three weeks after surgery mild stretching except the upper torso is acceptable but not vigorous yoga positions. While you can walk at 3-4 miles at 3 – 4mph. Once you regain more energy, work with your doctor if available and a knowledgeable trainer to outline an exercise regimen for you and your specific needs. Low-impact cardio is okay.  Barbell squats are not yet allowed. Lower abs are fine. You can resume leg workouts such as lunges, calf raises, pistol squats, leg extensions, hyperextensions, dductor/abductor.

At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph. While at 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and see how you go with your activities. Upper body workouts are allowed after 6 weeks such as hammer curls, reverse grip tricep pushdowns, hammer curls, bicep curls. Please note that chest, overhead, and any jumping around (high impact) exercises should be avoided like the plague!  While frog press, in and outs, pulse ups, flutter kicks and leg raises are cleared.  To start bringing back the push-ups, do so in an inclined position. The more upright you are the less body weight that you have to lift up, thus the less pressure that you put in the pec muscles.  Gradually, you can lower the bar until you can do push-ups as usual.

Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

Each plastic surgeon has different surgical technique and post-op recommendation.  This is based on one's training, experience, and preference.  It would be best to ask for your plastic surgeon's post-op instruction.

For my patients, I examine my patients to make sure that they are recovering properly before clearing them for certain exercise.  Normally, they are allowed to perform light cardio work-out after 4 weeks.  After 6 weeks, they are cleared to start weight lifting.  I ask them to avoid chest wall exercise (bench pressing) until their implants are fully settled.

Best regards.

Do whatever you want!

There should be no limitations on your exercise after surgery, but it does depend on how big your implants are and how much muscle was released (assuming that it is under the muscle). I use very conservative implants so my patient have no restrictions.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Upper body exercises to avoid following BA surgery

I always tell my patients no upper body exercise at all until after 6 weeks.  I also recommend no lifting over five pounds during this time either. After that point, I want my patients to ease back into their fitness routine, as it most likely will feel different the first time you get back to it. All this being said, there are not any exercises I advise to stay away from.  Be sure to follow your chosen plastic surgeon's post operative instructions carefully.

Best of luck in your recovery.

Fred Hackney, MD

Should I avoid any exercise?

Thank you for your recent question and congratulations on the breast surgery! Once you reach your 3 week post-op you are able to return to all exercises, however I inform my patients to avoid chest exercises as this can push the implants out and take away from that beautiful cleavage.  Best of Luck!

Plastic surgeons differ in their recommended post-operative instructions as far as activity and strenuous exercising. You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), that you trust and are comfortable with.  It is important to follow all of his or her instructions.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

For my patients with implants placed behind the muscle, I suggest that they avoid dedicated chest exercises. Every time the pectoral muscle is flexing, it is pushing the implant laterally. Over time, this can increase the size of the implant pocket and cause the implant to fall more laterally. Good luck!

Breast Implants

After three weeks I allow my patients to resume full activity. Some exercises may be more difficult at first but you will regain most of your strength with time

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Exercise after breast augmentation

Congrats on your successful breast augmentation! Hopefully you are enjoying the new you! You should definitely have a conversation with your plastic surgeon about this and see what his thoughts and recs are. I can tell you what I tell my patients... After I release them to no limitations on physical activity (about 6 weeks) then I tell them my recommendation is to avoid dedicated chest exercises. This means things like pushups, bench, flys etc... I think the constant strong activation of the muscle ends up pushing the implant out laterally.

Ankur Mehta MD 

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Exercises to avoid after BBA

There are no exercises that you will need to avoid.

As a patient, you must diligently follow your surgeon’s instructions and take good care of yourself to ensure your body has sufficient time to heal and look its best.

Normally, it is recommended not to do heavy lifting of greater than 10 lbs for the first 3 weeks. After 2-3 weeks, you should be able to begin your light exercise routine, such as brisk walking, cycling, aerobics and lower-body weight training.

You should work to slowly increase your activity level. This will be dependent on your own perception of how well you feel. Any minute you feel an activity is causing pressure or causing you to feel stretch in your breasts, then stop the activity. Point to note is that you want to avoid using your chest muscles as much as possible until you are cleared.

If your implants are placed behind the pec major muscle, then you will also have to avoid any exertion or strenuous activity that requires use of the upper body (e.g., chest, arms) for at least 6 weeks. This includes but is not limited to running, push-ups, pull-ups, and weight-lifting. The one thing I can tell you is that even when you return to high-impact upper-body exercises, you should support your breasts with snug fitting sports bra because the constant pull of gravity and the excessive movement during running can stretch the breast tissue possibly leading to breast sagging.  

After 3-6 months, your final results may appear. Patient is key, and this is important to remember.

As always, please call and discuss with your plastic surgeon. Their instructions should take precedence as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope that helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD