Dual Plane vs Type II Dual Plane. Why would this be important to me? Will it make a difference?

The last PS I saw rec'd 350cc mentor mod+, BUT he introduced something that confuses me. He discussed his preference for using a "dual plane" technique instead of traditional subpectoral, which from researching his explanation, is actually a Type II dissection. He cuts muscle at the nipple line rather than at the base and this prevents atrophy and helps the implant settle faster. How different will my outcome be? All I want is for my breasts to look soft and natural, especially in a bikini.

It makes a big difference. Once the muscle is cut- you have essentially weakened it. Once the muscle has been weakened, the implant has less support and is more likely to continue 'falling' through the cut muscle. This technique accounts for a vast majority of revision surgery because the implant ends up being too low for the patient. The initial results look 'natural', but with time gravity wins and makes breasts unacceptably low. I suggest you visit the 'breast augmentation revision surgery' forum on this site to learn more about this. I hope this clarifies things for you.
Kind regards,
Gary Horndeski M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Best to choose your operating surgeon based on how comfortable you feel with him or her. Also, ask to see before and after photos of patients with similar appearing breasts and you will get a better idea of whether or not you will appreciate the results this surgeon is able to deliver. Dual plane type II and III just refer to the degree of muscle separation from the overlying breast tissue and this is often necessary to perform if the patient has constricted appearing breasts or some degree of ptosis. Hope this helps!

Implant Placement

Different surgeons have their preferences on the implant pocket.  I prefer the dual plane technique.  The degree of dissection depends on the individual patient's anatomy.   I know it gets confusing with all the different technique out there - above the muscle, under the muscle, sub-fascial, dual plane etc etc.  In the end, review your plastic surgeon's before/after photos, make sure they are board certified by the american board of plastic surgery, and go with the surgeon and team with whom you connect the best.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

End result is what matters

Terminologies given to various techniques can be confusing to patients.   Best surgery is done with minimal damage to any existing muscles and tissues.  Respect for structures and safety for the patient while delivering beautiful final outcome is the goal.
Question for you is: Did you trust the doctor?
If you did, have your surgery done.
If not, find someone else 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Dual Plane Breast augmentation

Almost every plastic surgeon now dis-inserts or cuts the pectoralis muscle in order to get correct positioning of the implant.  How much the muscle is cut depends largely on how saggy your breasts are.  If you have a lot of atrophy or sagginess to your breasts then the muscle needs to be cut higher.  Hope this helps.

Dual plane

most implants placed are in a dual plane position which means they are partially below the muscle and partially below the breast tissue
this allows for fullness at the lower pole with the protective benefits of the muscle

the degree in dual plane is based on your ptosis or sagging.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Thank you for your question, and you have certainly been doing your research.  Most surgeons that talk about performing a "behind the muscle" augmentation are referencing a dual-plane technique.  This tries to take the benefits of both subglandular (directed implant pressure on the lower pole of the breast) and sub-pectoralis (improved implant coverage over upper pole and sternum) implant dissections and combines them into one surgery.  The implant will be covered by muscle on its upper portion, while covered by breast tissue on its lower.  The three types of dual plane approaches references the amount of release the surgeon performs of the pectoralis major muscle from its attachments on the chest and to the overlying breast tissue.  The more the muscle is released, there is less coverage for the implant, but better matching of the implant to the overlying breast tissue, and better filling of the skin envelope.  Your surgeon will discuss the best approach for you based on your physical exam.  My best recommendation is to have an open discussion with your surgeon about your desired goals, this will help the surgeon in choosing the right operation for you.