Driving after BA, when would it be safe to drive again?

If surgery went well, which I feel it did with me, when would it be safe to drive again? I took off a full week of work, I have someone helping me this week. I'm on day 2-3 of post-op and I feel tightness and somewhat sore when I move my arms. I will be following up with my surgeon by the end of this week before I return to work next week. Thanks in advance!

Most people are able to drive a week after breast augmentation.

It’s good that you’re following up with your plastic surgeon before you return to work next week, as they can offer you expert advice based upon your specific procedure and recovery. Typically, most women are able to resume driving a week (possibly sooner) after a breast augmentation procedure. The two important considerations are that you’ve stopped taking all narcotic-based pain medication before you get behind the wheel and that you can comfortably steer the car without stiffness or pain.

Check with your surgeon

You should check with your surgeon as every surgeon has different post op instructions. The best source of information is your surgeon and any material given to you by your surgeon's office!Good luck!

When Can You Return To Driving Following Breast Augmentation?

The short answer is about 24 hours after stopping all pain medications and/or muscle relaxers!  However, you still want to adhere to your own surgeon's protocals, so call his/her office and check to be sure that there is no other reason for you not to drive.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Driving after surgery

Great Question! Everyone is different after surgery. I recommend my patient's be completely off of all of their pain medications and muscle relaxers for a full 24 hours before driving. Make sure you feel comfortable enough with your arms to drive as well. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation post op care

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to first ask you operating surgeon any questions related to your procedure and your post operative instructions as ever surgeon has their own unique set of instructions.  That being said, we advise our patients to wait about a week after surgery and until they are no longer taking any pain medication or muscle relaxers before attempting to drive.
With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Driving after breast augmentation.

Thank you for your question. I advise patients that driving is ok once they are off of pain medications and comfortable enough that they could react in an emergency.  This is usually around 5 days to a week. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Driving after breast augmentations

Hi and congratulatios for your breast augmentation procedure. You should follow your pastic surgeon instructions. Usually after a week you should be able to move your arms enough to drive.

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Driving after breast augmentation

Most of my patients are able to drive within a few days after surgery (as long as they are not driving very long distances).  Patients need to be off of pain medication for 24 hours and have to be able to move their arms freely without discomfort.  Every surgeon will have their own opinion and protocol, however, so I strongly recommend that you follow the advice of your surgeon.Best wishes.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Driving after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You should not drive while taking pain medication. If you no longer need pain medication and are just taking ibuprofen, then you can drive as soon as you feel comfortable. You should be able to move your arms very well before driving. Most patients take 5-7 days before driving and returning to work for a desk job, 2 weeks for something that requires lifting.

Driving After Breast Augmentation

After breast augmentation, you should not drive until you are completely off of narcotic pain medication. Even when you have stopped taking narcotic pain medication, if you have ANY pain which will keep you from driving defensively, you should not drive. This is for the safety of yourself and others. Uber, Lyft, taxi, family, and friends are all safer and smarter options until you are pain-free.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician