Why are doctors in the Dominican Republic better at the Mommy Makeovers?

I have been following the RealSelf site for over seven months and I noticed that when I look at the profiles of the Dominican doctors they very aggressive when it comes to the tummy tuck and they metamorphosis irregular bodies into Barbie dolls, yet when I look on many of the American doctors sites they are more conservative about fat and skin removal. Is it because of health regulations and safety precautions in the US?

It think there are many factors that have lead you to this observation. 1) you may prefer the end result of the body type that is typically created in the DR (not every patient's goal is to have that body type). The very curvy hourglass look - tiny waist and big hips/buttocks. I create this body type often, but not in every patient. It is best to listen to your patient and tailor the surgery and the end result to fit their wants and needs. 2) There are regulations here in the US that change from state to state ( I am not certain what the rules/regulations are in the DR). Here in Texas we can safely remove 5L of lipoaspirate in one setting without an overnight stay with medical monitoring. In a society where most people are overweight or even obese, 5L is not that much. In the end you have to pick the plastic surgeon and facility that you feel most comfortable with. Make sure you do your homework and find a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best location for mommy makeovers

Hello, I haven't noticed a major difference in the outcomes of surgeons from any particular region.  Perhaps people who are traveling out of country for their operations are generally healthier and more mobile; these people would generally get better surgical outcomes than those who are substantially overweight or have major medical problems.

Cosmetic Tourism

I have written some advice for patients wishing to travel for surgery abroad. Results are always dependent on what you wish to achieve, your expectations and your anatomical starting point. The key is patient safety. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Traveling Out of the Country for a Mommy Makeover

This is a very good question. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measure.

Therefore, it may be in your best interest to not #travel out of the country for such procedures. Unless, you know the doctor or facility where the procedures take place well or have a previous experience with them, there is an increased chance of problems, #complications, or #emergencies which may lack the necessary attention as you would acquire easier within the United States.

Results

Photoshop

Dr. Derby Sang Caputo

Such as in any other countries in DR there are very good PS. All doctors you see on the page are board certified Surgeons, it is all in your hands with who you feel comfortable and want to work with.

Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

The Best Mommy Makeovers

I'm not sure I would agree that any one group of physicians routinely produce better results than another. I suggest interviewing individual physicians and looking at results in patients who looked like you before surgery.  

If you go out of the country you will have limited or no legal, insurance protection and very limited followup care. The excellent breast implant warranties (if you use implants) are not valid if the implant are placed outside of the country. It will be difficult to find care back home as well.

You will have a hard time doing research on the accreditation of doctors or their facilities outside the U.S. as well, and I do agree that health and safety regulations have some effect on the procedures done here in the U.S. While I am against frivolous lawsuits, our legal system does provide important protection for all patients.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Who takes care of your complications after medical tourism?

If you elect to travel far away from home to another city or even if you go out of the country, you need to understand that nobody back home will be readily available to help you with problems you might have from the surgery. After all, you didn't pay them to do the surgery and the aftercare is part of the fee, they don't want to take on the legal responsibility of your complications, and they have busy practices of their own surgery patients whose care is their top priority. Don't assume that you can just call an office and ask to be seen about problems you are having from surgery done elsewhere.

MM in the Dominican Republic

Medical tourism has becoming increasingly popular in recent years; patients have been flying out of the U.S. for plastic surgery, lured by lower prices. However, a parallel trend has also appeared: plastic surgeons in the United States are finding themselves treating an increasing number of patients who plastic surgery abroad, correcting complications and errors. A survey by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that 80% of the responding doctors had treated American medical tourists for complications including infection, contour abnormalities, and hematoma. Medical tourists are often led to believe that they will receive the same quality of care for a lower price in a foreign clinic. But while it is true that the cost of plastic surgery in some foreign countries is lower, this is often because the quality of care and surgery is compromised. Such patients also seem to neglect the possibility of complications and the need for a follow-up visit. In addition to the risks posed by sub-standard medical care abroad, medical tourists must consider the risks of injections and implants in other countries. The recent crisis with French breast implant maker Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) exemplifies this problem. PIP used industrial- rather than medical-grade silicone on their implants in an effort to reduce costs, a measure which probably increased the danger of rupture. PIP implants have not been used in the United States since 2000. Removal of these implants has been recommended by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. It is often the case that medical tourists end up spending more money because they have to pay to treat complications from their overseas surgery.