Disappointed in Veneers; any suggestions? (Photos)

I went to a new dentist to get my teeth cleaned and was sold in to getting veneers due to night grinding. I elected to get veneers on the front four teeth only as those are the ones that were most bothersome. Now I regret getting them, although they are straight, they don't look natural, they're darker than my natural teeth and look bulky. I'm having a difficult time articulating exactly what I don't like or rather what would make them look better to my dentist. Any suggestions?

Veneers questions

I was wondering if these were done completely in the office (direct veneers), or by taking impressions and having a lab technician make them and return them to the office for cementation at a later date (indirect veneers).
They appear bulky on the incisal edge, and they do not look very translucent which could happen if made directly out of composite resin. Composite resin is more opaque than Porcelain.  Indirect veneers are made of porcelain and may be made thin and translucent which leads to a more natural look.

You should talk with your dentist about your concerns and see what options are available to help make you happy with your smile.  Fees for indirect veneers are usually more than those for direct veneers due to the lab technician's fee involved.

In my opinion, there is nothing more natural and long lasting for esthetic smile makeovers than thin, porcelain veneers.

Douglas Jopling, DDS
Dallas, TX area

What to do when disappointed with veneers.

When properly done, porcelain veneers are
a beautiful aesthetic treatment that offers a long lasting result that can transform a smile. This takes an expertise that, unfortunately, is not the capability of any dentist. Having performed and taught cosmetic dentistry for more than three decades, I can say with authority that it is important to find a good cosmetic dentist who has the ability and training to recognize the obvious issues with your veneer result. They are too yellow and too bulky which unfortunately would require their removal and remake to correct (especially color). You should discuss this and make the appropriate changes.

Recontouring might help

Recontouring may help with the bulk, but the color will not change.  Unfortunately, remaking them may be your only choice.

Bulky yellow veneers

I think you have nailed the problem. The new veneers are yellower and thicker than your natural teeth. I'm sure if you share your concerns with the dentist they will do everything to make you happy. If you have them redone ask to see them before they are bonded into place.

Unhappy with bulky #veneers #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
I'm sorry to hear that you don't love your veneers.  It sounds like you are unhappy with the shade and bulkiness. Unfortunately, there is no way to make changes to your current veneers now that they are permanently bonded. I would suggest speaking with your dentist about your concerns, so your veneers can be remade. Be sure that you love the color of your new veneers before having them permanently bonded. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100