What would be the best and less costly route to lose weight besides naturally of course?

I want to have lipo because of potential heart problems to help lose weight and maybe fat transfer to my buttocks. I'm 30yrs old, 5'4 270lbs, have asthma, HIV and possibly tachycardia. My family has a history of heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. I know my diagnosis and family history is A LOT, but I am SERIOUS about losing weight, but doing it the natural way is very difficult. Please help me know if I can do it and how and if it can possibly be covered by insurance

Weight loss

Thanks for your question.
If you cannot lose weight in a "natural way" through exercise and diet, you may consider bariatric surgery.
Plastic surgery (liposuction or other body contouring procedure) is an elective surgery to give you a better body contour, not a way to lose weight.  Body contouring procedure should be done by qualified plastic surgeon for a good candidate.  A good candidate for cosmetic, elective patient is someone 1) who is medically, physically, and socially optimized, and 2) has reached his/her stable goal weight.
Please talk with your PCP to optimize your medical condition first and consult a bariatric surgeon first.
Best regards.

Liposuction Candidate and Weight Loss

Liposuction is not a weight loss tool, but for fine contouring and sculpting. I suggest consulting with a weight loss expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction for weight loss?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • I am sorry to disappoint you but liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.
  • At most it removes 10 pounds and the fat returns unless you lose weight afterwards.
  • Insurance will not cover it.
  • At your height, you are a candidate for a gastric bypass.
  • Please ask your regular doctor to refer you to a bariatric surgeon.
  • Exercising more and eating less is the least expensive way to lose weight but takes hard work and self-discipline and a life time committment to being fit.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Surgery

Insurance companies will not cover elective cosmetic procedures. You will need to get a medical clearance for surgery from your physician first. Then, I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your options. Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure, but a way to deal with excess bulges of fat. If you are trying to loose weight, don't get fat transfers. You might also be a candidate for bariatric surgery, which may be covered by insurance. This is something you should first discuss with your physician.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon