What would be the best and less costly route to lose weight besides naturally of course?
Doctor Answers 4
If you cannot lose weight in a "natural way" through exercise and diet, you may consider bariatric surgery.
Plastic surgery (liposuction or other body contouring procedure) is an elective surgery to give you a better body contour, not a way to lose weight. Body contouring procedure should be done by qualified plastic surgeon for a good candidate. A good candidate for cosmetic, elective patient is someone 1) who is medically, physically, and socially optimized, and 2) has reached his/her stable goal weight.
Please talk with your PCP to optimize your medical condition first and consult a bariatric surgeon first.
Liposuction Candidate and Weight Loss
Liposuction for weight loss?
- I am sorry to disappoint you but liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.
- At most it removes 10 pounds and the fat returns unless you lose weight afterwards.
- Insurance will not cover it.
- At your height, you are a candidate for a gastric bypass.
- Please ask your regular doctor to refer you to a bariatric surgeon.
- Exercising more and eating less is the least expensive way to lose weight but takes hard work and self-discipline and a life time committment to being fit.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
You might also like...
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.