Correcting nostril asymmetry with lip lift. (photos)

I am considering a lip lift procedure and am hoping that my nostril asymmetry from a poor rhinoplasty (almost 10 years ago) can be corrected at the same office visit. While I know it is a band-aide it will lessen my embarrassment when someone looks up at me and can see my nose -which due to my profession is daily. My consultation is Monday so any input is appreciated!

Lip lift and nostril asymmetry

Thank you for asking about your lip lift and nostril asymmetry.

• I suggest you have the nostril corrected first - it will affect the position of the lip lift scar.
  • Your nostril asymmetry at least in part is from removal of too much cartilage from the lower lateral cartilage at the dome of the nose -
  • You will need at least a cartilage graft and perhaps other procedures to restore the normal shape.
    Always see a Board Certified Plastic or Facial Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lip lift with rhinoplasty

Often one can camouflage something by altering an adjacent structure.  This is not the case with your nose.  My advice is to see a surgeon experienced in revision rhinoplasty to correct the misplaced / collapsed alar cartilages. Regards, Dr. Joseph Kiener.

Revision Rhinoplasty and Lip Lift with Nostril Asymmetry

Dear gsmith.rn~

Thanks for sharing your photos.  Your nostril asymmetry is caused by your nasal cartilages (lower lateral cartilages) being twisted and distorted.  This may be related to a deviation of the caudal septum or inadequate tip support.  It is difficult to make the nostrils perfectly symmetric, but they can certainly be improved with a revision rhinoplasty with restructuring of the tip cartilages.

The lip lift procedure usually involves an incision underneath the nose.  In order to decrease the visibility of the scar, the placement of this incision is very important and depends largely upon the shape of your nose at the base.  It's difficult to tell from your photos, but it appears that your columella is tenting the skin near the base, and this would affect the placement and visibility of the lip lift incision. Although a lip lift can be done at the same time as a rhinoplasty, in your case it may be better to do the rhinoplasty first and improve the asymmetry prior to making an incision under the nose.

Amy Hsu

Amy K Hsu, MD

Lip lift with nostril asymmetry

Thanks for including the photos. It seems that your nostril asymmetry is due to a deviation of your nasal tip to the left and a rightward deflection of the columella (the middle portion of the nasal base), in combination with some nostril retraction from previous surgical scarring.  It is unlikely that a standard lip lift procedure would address these issues.

The lip lift procedure is typically performed with an incision just beneath the nostril and along the nasal sill (inner/lower border) to camouflage it.  It's an amazing procedure to rejuvenate a thinning upper lip, and you are a great candidate for this, but I would also consider a dedicated revision rhinoplasty procedure if your nose is a main concern.

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Lip Lift

Thank you for your question. You would benefit from a Rhinoplasty as well as a lip lift. A Rhinoplasty can address the uneven nostrils which will provide a more aesthetically pleasing result as well as more functionality. Please discuss both a Rhinoplasty and the fat injections, direct lip lift, subnasal lip lift and corner lip lift with your board certified facial plastic surgeon during Monday's consultation.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon