If I'm coming from out of state, how much longer should I stay after my tummy tuck and breast aug?

Planning Your Stay if Having a Mommy Makeover Out of Town

It may best to ask your surgeon. But, plan to stay at least until your follow-up exam which is approximately a week or less after your surgery. Your board-certified plastic surgeon and staff will brief you on their suggestions for your recovery. If you have questions or specific concerns, it best to contact them to better plan your #recovery. Also, many plastic surgery practices have facilities for their #traveling clients, and if not, they can provide you information as to where you where can #heal comfortably.

Additionally, #staying nearby until after your follow-up appointment may be beneficial if you have any complications or specific concerns soon after surgery. 

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Dr Derby

The best is a minimum post op stay of at least 14 days before travelling by airplane. This to make sure that you have the drains removed. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Post-op care

Thanks for your question.
Your stay will depend on how far you live out of state.
With tummy tuck, you will most likely have drains.  The drains usually get removed within 1-2 weeks depending on your drain output.  Your surgeon may have you commute back every week for two-three weeks or ask you to stay in-town for couple weeks. 
Since we all differ in our surgical techniques and post-op regimen, it would be best to ask your plastic surgeon for his/her recommendation.
Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Travel after mommy makeover

Dear 1984shay:

We treat many patients who travel from out of town for their procedure(s).  After a mommy makeover (breast augmentation with tummy tuck), I generally advise holding off on taking a flight home for at least 10 days.  
This allows my team and I to make sure you are recovering well after your surgery.  Usually, any drains that were placed will be removed.  In addition, you don't want to fly too soon from your tummy tuck as flying alone can increase the risk for a blood clot (also known as a deep vein thrombus (DVT).   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and to develop a safe recovery plan.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Traveling after a tummy tuck

For my patients, I usually keep tummy tucks overnight in our private surgicenter.  I send a nurse to their hotel the following night to check on them.  Then see them in office 2 days after that. From there, there are weekly office visits for first 3 weeks. then at 2 months, and 6 months.  So I would recommend staying in town the first 4-5 days for my out-of-town patients.

Please make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.

Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Mommy make-over - how long to stay for a mommy make-over.

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • First, be sure you need to travel to have a mommy make-over.
  • You appear to be in Houston  - there are excellent plastic surgeons in your area.
  • If you decide to travel for your surgery, allow 10 - 14 days.
  • If possible, have a relative or friend be with you, at least the first week.
  • If you return home via a long plane flight, discuss the risks and have a preventive plan with your surgeon before surgery to minimize your risk of blood clots in the legs.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy makeover

After your mommy makeover you should stay close to your surgeons office for at least 10 days following your surgery. Its important to go to every scheduled post-operative appointment to avoid and help with complications and drain care. Remember that every Dr. has slightly different post op instruction so you should discuss the post op care instructions and concerns with your surgeon. Best of luck!

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Out of town surgery

Check with your surgeon on their preferences, but as you can see the consensus is around 10 days. Also be aware that visits at the 1,2 or 3 month mark are also important to manage your scar, swelling, and implant settling.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Most patients will stay a week to 10 days so they can be properly followed up with during the immediate postop course. This also gives you some time to have some or even all the drains removed prior to returning home. However, since every surgeon's postop protocol may be different, best to check directly with your operating surgeon about his or her recs. Good luck!