Is my columella and ear infected? (Photos)

I decided to get my nose done in the Philippines because the doctors there do hundreds of noses that look like mine. After years of research on this doctor he still did not give me what I wanted. In short he agreed to refund me but cut all communication. I am 8 days post op. 1. Do the surgery sites appear infected? 2. How soon can I have the gortex nasal implant removed? I do not want to wait 6 months. I sustained virtually no swelling, and my nose is very pointy and slender now and I am unhappy.

Say no to Gortex

Given that we now have organ donated rib grafts that we can use for every single component of rhinoplasty, there is no reason why you should be using a synthetic implant like Gortex; you can have it replaced any time, especially if you are getting an infection; your ear has definitely dehisced out; the nose looks irritated and may dehisce as well leaving your implant exposed.

Nose surgery issues

I hate to hear that this is happening to you.  The good news is that it does not look as though the ear or the nose are infected at this time.  That being said, they certainly are in need of some wound care to ensure they heal properly going forward.  As far as having the gortex implant removed, It is best to be evaluated in person to determine.  This can be done under local anesthesia and does not take much time.  Best of luck.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my columella and ear infected?

Your situation is unfortunate. However, it's common when people go outside the US for Cosmetic Surgery. I do not recommend this. It doesn't appear that your ear or columella inion are infected. I suggest you see a Board Certified PS where you live to evaluate the situation.

Foreign country rhinoplasty

Hello College Girl,

It is always risk to travel outside of the country for a rhinoplasty.  The reason is that problems can arise in the post operative period, as your are seeing now.  The columella incision is pink but does not look infected.  The incision on your ear has at least opened up which does increase the risk of an infection.  Before deciding on when your Gor-Tex graft should be remproved you should be evaluated.  Frequently you need to replace it with something else, like auricular or rib cartilage to prevent the nose from drooping. I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to learn about your options.  

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon