Chin Implant or sliding genioplasty? (Photo)

I am wondering what would be a good option for me? I have seen many before and after photos and what I don't want is too small of an implant. I would really like my chin to match my my lower lip. Please help!!

Genioplasty vs Implant

There isn't one answer, and as you see below there are different opinions on the matter. There are risks and benefits to genioplasty and implants and I don't think there is one exactly correct answer.  In short, here are the pros and cons to each

Implant: An implant is a less invasive surgery and there is less downtime to recover.  Con: the implant can cause some resorption of the mandible and regress a few milimeters over years.  Also, it is a life long liability.  It is a foreign body and can become infected and need to be removed as long as it's present

Sliding genioplasty: moves the bone of the chin forward and is held in place with small plates.  There is less long term infection risk.  Ultimately holds up longer. The downside is longer recovery and more pain in the post op period. 

Just to be clear, neither an implant or a genioplasty affect the occlusion or change the bite.  The surgery that changes the bite is orthognathic surgery, which moves the whole jaw forward.  Genioplasty moves just the chin forward. 

Which choice is best for you depends on your preferences and goals.  A real time consultation will also allow the doctor to get a full exam and give more specific recommendations. 

Dr Rodman

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

CHIN AUGMENTATION CANDIDATE

Dear xmnmersx, A chin augmentation is a less invasive procedure then a genioplasty and will help add a nice projection to the chin and help balance your profile and overall facial aesthetics. A genioplasty is often performed when patients have bite issues or occlusion with their teeth. You should have a significant change with chin augmentation via an implant. This is a very rewarding procedure for young ladies like yourself and has a very high level of patient satisfaction. You may consider some sub-mental liposuction at the same time to add further definition to your jawline. See examples in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Sliding Genioplasty

With your degree of chin/jaw deficiency, only a sliding genioplasty should be considered. Even with a sliding genioplasty it may need to be supplemented with an overly chin implant to get the maximal chin correction. 

Chin Impant or Sliding Genioplasty?

A genioplasty or a large chin implant will increase jaw projection and definition but the implant placement is a much easier procedure. Liposuction under your chin should also be considered.

Chin implant versus sliding genioplasty

A chin implant is placed under local anesthesia which takes approximately 30 minutes as an outpatient surgical procedure.  Chin implants  will have no bearing on the teeth together.  A chin implant is much less invasive.  A sliding genioplasty is performed under general anesthesia by an oral surgeon in the hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay.  It is also performed with the teeth are significantly adequate alignment. For more information and many examples of chin implants including diagrams of the implants themselves,  please see the link and the video below.

Chin augmentation

A genioplasty is the best option for your facial growth pattern. You have difficulty closing your lips together; and the 'slope' of the jawline is steeper than 'normal'. An implant would not change the height nor the contour properly under the chin area. Talk to a Maxillofacial surgeon about it.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin Implant or sliding genioplasty?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Options for Chin/Profile Enhancements

Thanks for your post and photo. In my view, a chin implant would be a better option for you. There are many well designed and sized silastic chin implants available that could be considered for improvement of your chin projection in profile to match your upper lip position. I understand how you feel about an "undersized" implant and would recommend your Facial Plastic Specialist select a style with noticeable improvement. Lower jaw advancement and/or reconstructive jaw surgery could be also considered if you have any issues with dental occlusion or upper airway obstruction. If you have any oral/dental concerns you should also consult with an experienced oral maxillofacial specialist or ask your Facial Plastic Surgeon to coordinate a consultation. Please let me know if you need additional help. Best Wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon