How do I know if I've had a capsulelectomy?

I had my breast implants removed after 9 years with a breast lift. I've called to check if I had a capsulectomy but they just keep giving me the run around. How do I know if they did it? I don't any drainage tubes.

Breast implant removal - did I have a capsulectomy?

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal and lift.

• Sorry your doctors office isn't organized enough to answer your question.
  • Ask them to send you a copy of your operative note - you are legally entitled to a copy for your records.
  • In the note, it will say if the capsule was removed.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Capsulectomy with implant removal

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry you are having difficulty finding the answer to your question from your plastic surgeon. Capsulectomy can be partial or complete and it would not be uncommon to have this performed when having implants removed. However it is not a requirement and greatly depends upon your tissues. I would recommend obtaining the operative record from either your surgeon or the hospital or surgery center at which your procedure was performed. The latter may be an option if you are having difficulty obtaining information from your surgeon. This should indicate whether the scar tissue capsule was removed either partially or completely. I hope this helps and good luck.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

How do I know if I've had a capsulectomy?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately there is no way to tell by physical exam alone if you had a capsulectomy. I would recommend either speaking with your surgeon or obtaining a copy of your operative note to determine this.  Hope this helps.

How do I know if I've had a capsulectomy

Ask your surgeon at a post op visit.  Also, request a copy of your operative report.  Best to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Impossible to tell

It is not possible to determine if you had a capsulectomy.  Getting a copy of th operative report might help.

Thank you for your question.  This is something that your surgeon should be able to discuss with you.  Most surgeons would have addressed this in the consultation before any surgery is performed.  If not, one should be able to obtain a copy of the operative report from the center where the procedure occurred.  Good luck. 

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon