Do I have capsular contracture? (photos)

I got my breasts done last July about 7 months ago and all of a sudden my right breast started to swell. This happened with in a week, I don't know if this is due to trauma or if it is something worse like capsular contracture.

Capsular Contracture

Photos alone are no substitute for a physical exam, but it does appear you have capsular contracture of the left breast.

It is always best to follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon if you feel you have a problem with your breast implants. They want help you and want you to be happy with your results.

I hope this helps and best of luck.

Troy Plastic Surgeon

Do I have capsular contracture?

Thank
you for the question and your photo. It would be
difficult to fully assess your situation and know whether you have capsular contracture without seeing your pictures from pre-op and post-op and without an in-person examination. I would recommend you return to your plastic surgeon and get a full evaluation. Best of luck. Dr. Micheal Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is
the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Do you have CC?

Although capsular contractures following breast augmentation can occur just about any time, most women start having symptoms around three months after their breast implant surgery. This is because it takes some time for a capsule to form and then to scar down (contracture).
Capsular Contracture is a condition in which the capsule surrounding the implant thickens and contracts, squeezing the implant making it overly firm or hard and often changing the shape and position of the implant. As the capsule contracts it moves the implant further up your chest wall making upper portion of your breast too large and unshapely. It is more far more common in nicotine users (e.g. smoking, vaping or nicotine gum or patches).

You need an in person examination. Please visit your surgeon for a check up. 

Possible Capsular Contracture

Thank you for your question. Without seeing your pictures from pre op and immediate post op, its hard to say. There does appear to be some definite shape differences. I recommend seeing your Surgeon for evaluation. Best of luck to you.

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Do I have capsular contracture?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  If your right implant more closely resembled your left prior to "swelling," it is likely that you have started to develop a capsular contracture. This can only be determined through an in-person evaluation, but with an artificial elevation and hardening of the implant, this is most likely the result of the capsule's scar tissue.  

Possible capsular contracture

It is difficult to know whether you have capsular contracture or not without a full examination.  Your breasts do look asymmetric.  I would recommend you return to your plastic surgeon and get a full evaluation.

Do I have capsular contracture?

I cannot actually diagnose a capsular contracture without doing an exam, but your breasts are asymmetric in your photo. Your right breast actually looks more normal. Your left breast appears to be sitting high. It is hard to say what is going on without having some knowledge of what you looked like before etc. It is best for you to see your PS to find out what is going on.

Capsular contracture

Thanks for your question.  Usually capsular contracture is a gradual process and does not happen all of a sudden (weeks rather than 1-2 days).  I would recommend that you return to the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery for an exam of your implant pockets.  If in fact you do have capsular contracture you might need to have a short procedure to release or remove the capsule and allow your implant to settle into proper position.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Capsular contracture

In order to diagnose a capsular contracture you have to been seen in person and examined to feel for the capsule. Based on the picture it appears that your left implant is riding somewhat high. Typically a capsular contracture can result in a high riding implant but sometimes an implant may ride high without having a contracture.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

Thanks for the question and the photo.  It does look like you may have developed a contracture.  I suggest you go back to your surgeon to discuss your concerns and for a physical exam.  As Plastic Surgeons, we don't really understand what causes this to happen.  In my practice, I start patients on high dose vitamin E, singulair, and Aspen ultrasound therapy.  The goal is to get the breast to soften without surgery.  Some patients will respond, but sometimes it is necessary to return to the operating room to address the problem.  Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon