Will my breasts get larger as they settle?

I started out as a 36a. Had augmentation and lift in 10/6. My PS said 375 was max implant size I could go, but they would be big. They seemed really small after surgery. Measured today and am only a 36b. I am trying hard to stay positive, but but am really upset. I waited a long time and spent a lot of money to do this. Now I feel like it was a waste as they were bigger in a padded bra. Will they get bigger as they settle?

Implant settling

Sorry that you are upset after your breast augmentation.

As the implants settle, they will change shape and may appear slightly larger.  However, the size of the breast will not increase with time.  Please allow 2-3 months to see the final outcome (shape/size) to evaluate your breasts.  You should also follow-up with your plastic surgeon to share your concern.

Best regards.

Will my breasts get larger as the breast implants settle?

Thank you for your question.  Please understand that early after surgery the muscles and tissues flatten the breast implant and make them look smaller.  As the implants drop into their final position over the next 3 months I would expect you have fuller breasts below the nipple and a much more natural look.

Thank you for sharing your question. After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest.  Though they will not get bigger, the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance, and filling your bra cup more.   I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear of your concern. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The size will certainly not increase as the swelling subsides. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Sorry to hear about your concerns.  Generally, the implants tend to settle over the course of several months.  You'll get a better idea about your surgical result at that time.  The size however, wouldn't change.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and/or advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

In other words, it is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed; your breasts will undoubtedly change over the course of the next several weeks/months.   The vast majority of patients with your concerns at your stage in the recovery process, turn out to be much happier two to three months after the procedure was performed.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

For example, many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.