Do I need a breast lift along with BA? If so, what type of lift? (Photo)

Lost 17 lbs. and don't like breasts now. Even when i was a full 34C I always felt they were lower; not from having kids but that I have "old people's skin" or lack of elasticity. I've seen pics of similar breasts with nice BA only outcome, but Im scared of the fact that BA enhances current breasts so i will have big saggy breasts. Also what happens when I gain 10 lbs back in a yr from now?

Lift or aug?

Based on these pictures, which do not really permit a proper full assessment, I think you might be able to get by with a breast implant augmentation without a mastopexy.  I'd might consider placing a silicone implant into  either a dual plane or possibly even a sub glandular pocket in order to give a good correction of your breast shape.  In this manner, you could avoid having to have a mastopexy for several years, but likely will need a lift someday.

Breast Lift Intended Result - When Combined with Implants

A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is used for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy. This is called an #Augmentation/Mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. 

#FatGrafting is another option to using #breastimplants and requires a small amount of liposuction to obtain the fat which is the prepared and transferred to the breast. 

A hybrid operation may use both an implant and fat to provide the best contours of the lifted breast.

I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Implants and No Lift: This is usually a mistake. Most breasts will look larger and droopier.  They will sag more and sooner because of the excess weight.  The shape will usually not be satisfactory. There will sometimes be a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble.

If the nipples are in a fairly high position on the breast or “glandular” ptosis or drooping, an implant may be useful.

Do I need a breast lift along with BA? If so, what type of lift?

From the photograph you have presented there is strong possibility you may be able to have a breast augmentation without a breast lift. See a board certified surgeon and perhaps one that has 3D imaging technology to demonstrate your "after" look both with and without a lift. Good luck. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photo.  Based on your photo a dual plane breast augmentation may be all that you need.  I would suggest that you consider having a breast lift as a second procedure 6 months after breast augmentation, and only if at that point you feel your breasts sag and need a lift.  I would not do a combination breast lift with implants at the same procedure.   A much better result can't be achieved if the lift is done as a second procedure.  For more information please read below:

Augmentation Mastopexy

Your photo and description is insufficient information to answer your question. Please visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all types of cosmetic breast surgery, not just implants. Best of luck! Instagram: drgeraldminniti

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Is a lift needed?

Dear tsunamijeep:  The answer to your question depends on your goals and also your anatomy.  You stated that you already feel that your breasts feel  low and you are concerned about your loss of elasticity in your tissue/skin.  These are reasons to consider a breast lift with your augmentation.  Remember, breast augmentation alone augmentation the breasts that you have.   Furthermore, what holds up your implants after augmentation?  Its your skin and tissue.  If your tissue has poor elasticity (aka poor soft tissue support), then a lift of some form will be advised.   Its best to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for a formal physical exam and consultation to learn more about your options.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Breast lift and implants candidate

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 550ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Lift?

It is difficult to tell from just one photo. You really are best served by being seen in person. Good luck.

Thank you for your question and photograph.  I do not think it is possible from that single photograph to give you good advice, but my general feeling would be to consider a breast augmentation with the option of performance of a Benelli lift during the procedure based upon the appearance of your breasts with appropriately sized implants in place.  If the implant settles adequately it may give the appearance that your nipple has been raised but if not then a Benelli lift should be considered.

Please take this as general advice since a face-to-face examination is necessary to be most accurate. Best wishes and good luck,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for the question and picture.  

Although definitive advice would require in-person evaluation, I think that it is likely that you will benefit from breast lifting as well as breast augmentation surgery.  Based on your description of "sagging" and after viewing your photographs, I would be concerned that you will not be pleased with the long-term outcome achieved with breast augmentation surgery only. 

Of course, breast augmentation/lifting surgery is a more complicated procedure (and more complication prone);  careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals will be key.  Furthermore, you will need to carefully consider the trade-offs (such as additional scarring) associated with breast lifting versus the upsides briefly discussed above.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing this combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with will a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.  Again, it will be important that you educate yourself regarding the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Only after doing so can you make an informed decision whether or not to proceed. You will find a lot of information on this website and on the attached link.

Also, generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 

2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers with the patient in the upright position makes selection of the best breast implant size/profile relatively easy.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.