Breast lift or augmentation? (Photos)

Im 23 y/o, no kids, left with sagging breasts after a 60 pound weight loss. My breasts are a huge place of insecurity for me as a 23 year old and I've decided I want to get a breast lift. In some before and after pictures, it doesn't look like a breast lift does all that much. I'm wondering, to get the lifted, round shape I want, will I need to get an augmentation as well? I'm a 34DD and have plenty of breast tissue in there, but just wanted to get some opinions from this site. Thanks!

Breast lift or augmentation

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Without direct examination and understanding your goal, I cannot give you a specific surgical plan.  However, implants are used to give you fuller volume; breast lift will give you more compact, perkier breasts.  Please review before and after photo gallery and share your wish photo with your plastic surgeon.  After examining you in-person and understanding your desired outcome, your plastic surgeon will provide you with more meaningful recommendation.

Best regards.

Breast Lift or Augmentation (or both)

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.

I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Breast lift

IF you are already a DD, I would say a breast lift will be all you need.  It will raise your areola and your breast volume to a more desireable location.  Best of luck!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast augmentation

Dear lizzytizz456:

Thank you for posting your photos.  Although a physical exam is needed to make any formal recommendations, based on your photos alone, I would likely suggest a breast augmentation with a dual plane technique.  From your photos, it appears you may have a slight breast asymmetry and the areolars seem a but large.  To achieve better shape, improve your mild sagging, improve symmetry and balance, and reduce your areolar size, I may ask you to consider a limited scar periareolar mastopexy.   But again, a physical exam is needed for me to assess your tissue quality and chest wall/breast anatomy to determine if a lift would be needed and if so, what would be the best lift for you.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

BL or BA?

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation

Breast augmentation alone or with lift?

Thank you for your question. The goal with breast surgery is to achieve symmetry with a pleasing shape and volume according to the patient's desires. You may require a combination of asymmetrical lifting with augmentation. The parameters of both the breast lift and the position of the breast implants should be designed to keep the implants relatively low while lifting the breast tissue and nipple to sit directly over the implants.  Many techniques exist in breast surgery, and combined lifting with augmentation is especially tricky.  The key is working with an expert, board certified plastic surgeon to get the best plan for the individual.

Breast Implants

You really need an examination for a true answer. Your nipples are at the infra mammary crease so maybe implants only may do the trick. However on the frontal view your right breast especially looks like it has some ptosis. This may be one of those cases where the sizing will make all the difference or the decision to perform a small lift may need to be made intra operatively once the implants are placed

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Lift and or implants

Hi there Lizzy,

I really appreciate your honesty about your breast related insecurity. Looking at your lovely curvaceous shape I would advise you to proceed with a lift + implants. The implant need not be enormous, but it will help immeasurably with breast shape, breast projection and in maintaining your great new look for years to come.

James

James Southwell-Keely, MD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants

Thank you for your question.  From what you describe, it sounds like you would need an implant with your lift to achieve your goals of a round, full breast.  To be sure, consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options.  Best wishes!

Breast lift with or without implants

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam and measurements it is hard to advise.  In general, an implant added to a lift will allow for the more rounded full upper pole that you may be describing.  Please have a few in person consultations to discuss.