Breast is leaking. Breast augmentation over 25 years ago

Right breast is leaking clear sticky substance. I had breast augmentation over 25 years ago. I can't remember where I had the surgery done. What should I do?

Doctor Answers 10

Breast Augmentation 25 yrs Postop

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Given that you don’t remember where you had your breast augmentation done, it would be best to find a nearby board-certified plastic surgeon where you live currently and be seen for an examination very soon. You would likely need some imaging in order to detect a possible implant rupture. If you have silicone implants, it is recommended to have an MRI done 3 years after surgery and every 2 years thereafter to detect “silent rupture.” Unlike saline implants, it isn’t possible to diagnose a rupture simply by looking in the mirror. Imaging is necessary to detect this postoperative complication. After breast augmentation surgery, it is also important to have annual follow-up appointments to ensure breast health, implant integrity, and your satisfaction. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will advise you on the next steps after an examination. Good luck!

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Breast is leaking..

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi, repencer.It is very unusual to have breast "leaking."  It is not clear where you are leaking from: nipple or previous incision.  I recommend you to see your PCP and get MRI to check for the integrity of implant as well as your breast tissue.  Also, consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to be examined in-person.Best wishes.

Possible Silicone Leakage

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear rspencer, This is very unusual, but it does sound like you have silicone leaking out of your incision or nipple. You did not specify which. Assuming that is the case, you have a ruptured implant. Getting a mammogram is going to exacerbate that by putting firm pressure on it. You should first be assessed by a board certified plastic surgeon to examine you and direct you from there. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Breast is leaking. Breast augmentation over 25 years ago

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. I sounds like a implant leak. I recommend to see a board certified PS for immediate evaluation and treatment plan.

Breast exam/Imaging

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. I recommend that you visit your primary care physician for a breast exam and imaging. Your Doctor can evaluate hormonal changes and other factors then let you know about next steps. MRI should provide a clear picture of your implant.
All the best

Breast Implant Exchange

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. It sounds like you have a ruptured breast implant and are in need of an implant exchange. Your records likely no longer exist with the surgeon that originally did your surgery. My recommendation would be to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation to determine the right surgical route to move forward. 

Needs evaluation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
An evaluation and exam in person will helpYou will likely need some imaging such as a mammogram, ultrasound, or MRI also.There are many fine plastic surgeons in Houston that can help you.You can search on RealSelf.

Breast augmentation - implant seems to be leaking gel

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for asking about your breast augmentatino.
  • You need to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to help you -
  • There are many excellent ones in Houston.
  • It is possible that the implants are deteriorating - 
  • The sooner they are removed the better.
  • you and your surgeon can discuss whether to put in new implants.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast leak

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am sorry to hear about your breast augmentation troubles. This seems pretty serious, no matter the situation we can not diagnose the issue without seeing any photos. And if a clear sticky substance is leaking out, I suggest seeing a board certified plastic surgeon right away to get this looked at. He/she will be your most valuable source of information.

Good luck

Traci Temmen, MD 
Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Traci Temmen, MD
Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.I would recommend finding a surgeon in your current area and then you can explain to them what is going on.  The surgeon will develop a plan from there on what your next step should be. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 83 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.