Does it look like my breast implant will bottom out or form a double bubble? (Photo)

I had a breast augmentation about 5 weeks ago and the right feels full and dropping but the left feels a little strange, like its loose on the bottom. But my concern is it feels like the implant is below the breast crease and I hope this corrects or does it usually worsen to form a double bubble or bottoming out?

Bottoming out or Double bubble

It is difficult to tell anything from the photograph, but at 5 weeks it is much too early to assess your result.  Please wait a month or so and resubmit a better photo so we can better help you.

No bottoming out or double bubble

Thank you for your question and 5 week post op photo.  Your photo provided does not show bottoming out or double bubble.   Double bubble usually results from lowering the infra-mammary crease by more than 1 cm resulting in an indentation by the old natural crease on the lower portion of the breast.  Bottoming out may result from either (1) too aggressive release of the inframammary fold with descent of the implant on the chest or (2) breast tissue that is too elastic resulting in stretched elongated skin between the nipple and infra-mammary crease.  A bottomed out breast is an implant positioned too low on the breast/chest and a "bottom heavy" physical deformation.  While your photos are early after surgery, there is no evidence of bottoming out or double bubble.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Hard to Tell from Photo

Dear amy780, It is hard to tell with the picture because we cannot see the inframammary fold there. Have your plastic surgeon check you again. He or she may advise longer bra support while this settles in place. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Follow up with your PS

Thank you for the question.  It is hard to assess your situation without an in-person examination.  Based on the photo, you do not seem to be bottoming out but best to follow up with your plastic surgeon for your concerns.  At 5 weeks, you are still early in the recovery stage so give it more time as well.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

5 weeks post BA

Hi Amy,

At 5 weeks you are still very early in the healing process and it would be difficulty to assess what your final result would look like. It is difficult from the photo to really make a comment based on the angle.  It is not uncommon for one implant to "drop" before the other if the muscle relaxes first on one side before the other. Given time the other side will usually go through the same relaxation.  I would make sure to communicate with your concerns with your surgeon who can examine you and more accurately advise you.  Your breast shape will change over the next 3-6 months so you have to be patient and give your body time to heal.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Rednam

Is it bottoming out

Thank you for your question. It is in early phase of healing and the pictures are not adequate to comment. I would  recommend to wait about 3-4 months and reevaluate. 

Breast result

Thanks for your inquiry.  Iy is hard to advise from the picture without an exam.  It is possible that the left muscle has not released or relaxed as much of the right and thus with the asymmetrical "windowshading" , the breast mound is more loose.   Please discuss with your surgeon.

Does it look like my breast implant will bottom out or form a double bubble?

Maybe both issues. Only in person second opinion examination  is now indicated>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Double bubble?

Based solely on your photo, it doesn't look like you have a double bubble. At 5 weeks, you are still healing so things will continue to change over the next 3-6 months. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

No evidence of double bubble at this time.

The information in the photograph is limited but I don't see evidence of a double bubble abnormality at this time. In addition you can expect further shaping up of the breasts over the next few weeks to months.