Are my breasts too high up? (Photo)

One week and a half after surgery. Idk if it's that I'm feeling paranoid or impatient but are my breast too high up? I had constricted lower poles which my ps and I discussed scoring was a must. Does it take longer for breast to drop if patients had tight lower poles? How do my results look for a week and a few days?

Breast Implants Too High? #breastaugmentation #breastimplants

• Your photos do demonstrate a lot of swelling and they do appear to be riding high.
  • At only 10 days after your breast augmentation, it is definitely expected that your implants will not have settled into place yet.  Additionally, swelling at 10 days is common.
  • With time, over the next few MONTHS, your implants should settle into place. 
  • As you correctly point out, yes it does take longer for the implants to settle into place with constricted breast anatomy such as you have.
  • I imagine that your plastic surgeon likely had to lower the infra-mammary fold as well to accommodate the implants.  
  • Definitely discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, as he/she will better be able to address your questions. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still fairly early on in your recovery but your results look quite normal at this stage. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, over the next few weeks eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets causing there to be more fullness at the bottom.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would also continue to perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Are my breasts too high up?

Thank you for your question.   Your result looks very normal so early after breast augmentation.  It can take 3 months for the implants to drop into position and yes it can take longer if you have constriction preop.  However this early in recovery your result looks very good at this point.  Ask your surgeon about breast implant displacement exercises Which can help.

Are my breast implants too high up?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Your plastic surgeon will be best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. There are many variables when it comes to how much breast implants will "settle";  the main variable in my opinion will be exactly how/where the breast implant pocket was dissected. Again, for this reason, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. I have found that patients who start out with tuberous or constricted breasts may find that it takes longer for the breast implants to fully settle and for the lower breast poles to "round out". Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

In cases where implants do not settle sufficiently or significant breast asymmetry persists, the pros/cons associated with revisionary breast surgery (for example, capsulotomy surgery for an implant that is sitting too high) should be carefully considered prior to making decisions whether or not to undergo further surgery. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

POST OP HIGH IMPLANTS

Constricted breasts always take longer to "settle in" and 2-3 months is just about the time to start making a judgement.  Not 1-2 weeks.   You look like you lack skin in the lower pole of your breasts more and this is possibly more of an issue than any constriction, which is quite hard to see in the photos. Your implants and swelling are indeed very high and will certainly improve with time.  But you won't know the final results until you've done the waiting.  It takes patience and that's the hard part.  Stay in close touch with your surgeon.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Are my breasts too high up?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Breast Placement at 1.5 Weeks Post-Op

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

Breast implants too high?

As with most breast surgery, it takes quite a bit of time to assess how things are going to settle. Probably, the best thing for you, is to discuss this with your plastic surgeon to explain their expectations as far as final result and a timeline to get there.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

High riding implants

Thanks for your inquiry and pictures.  You are right that constricted breasts take longer for the implants to fall.  It is early in your result and good luck.  

Breasts are high

Thank you for your question. You are in early healing period. They will continue to change in the next few weeks and drop. Please follow instructions from your PS