Breast too far apart! Will they come closer? (photos)

Tomorrow marks three weeks since my BA. Since day 1 I never had the super high implant look and I am worried that my breast are going to look saggy as time goes by and too far apart. I have been massaging for a week or so now and have been so sore since starting it. Does all this look and sound normal?

Thank you for your question and pictures. The answer to your question is I can't really answer your question without seeing your before pictures. The results look quite good actually.  I suspect that you had this amount of separation before surgery and this cannot change too much.  The nipples are centered on the implant and this is key to good results.

Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Breast too far apart! Will they come closer?

Thanks for your question. I agree with my colleagues.  You are well on your way for a very natural breast augmentation with a well placed implant.  Notice the nipples are "centered" over the breast mound.  If the implants were any "closer" together then the nipples would not be centered and point "outward".  The features that determine the "spacing" have to do with the size and thickness of the pectoralis major muscle and its insertion as well as the sternum and its size/width. These are your unique anatomic features.  There are some surgeons that "over release" the muscle so as to get a closer, unnatural spacing between the breasts but that can lead to breast implants "merging" in the middle, a condition called symmastia that can be very hard to fix and that is why I don't favor over release.  The base width of the implant seems well matched to your chest wall width. I would ask your plastic surgeon about "medial massages" (inward massages), but otherwise I think you are on your way to a very nice, natural result.  Good luck!

Volume Does Not Equal Cleavage

Hello 1002HoustonTM, I understand your concerns, but I must say your early results look great. Very symmetrical and the implant placement looks good. Unfortunately, no, your breast are not going to change positions and come together on your chest. But I must ask you, were they close together before your augmentation? We don't have any before pictures, but my guess is that your breasts haven't moved apart after surgery. They're where they've always been. The increase in volume has just made you notice their position more! I hope it was explained to you thoroughly at your consultation that increasing the size of your breasts is not what gives you cleavage. Rather, cleavage is a function of the shape and width of your chest and how close your breasts naturally are together. If your breasts are set wide on your chest, you will have more fullness after your augmentation, but not necessarily more cleavage. During surgery your surgeon should have created a precise pocket along the midline and center of the chest to allow for cleavage, but they are limited by your natural anatomy. For your other concerns with pain and sagging, definitely discuss these with your surgeon. You are so soon after surgery, you will be feeling all sorts of sensation changes, but you shouldn't be in any significant pain at this point. I don't know any details such as the type of implant (silicone/saline) or how it was placed (under/over the muscle), but this information would help determine what is "normal" or not for where you're at in the healing process and post care you should be doing. Your overall outcome is dependent on these details as well, so if it wasn't already done, discuss with your surgeon what you wanted in specific terms and what was done to achieve those goals. Best of luck to you!

William Aiello, MD

It is unlikely that your breast cleavage will get closer together over time.  You can try wearing a breast strap over the center of your breasts to put pressure on the insertion of the pectoralis muscle along the sternum (breast bone) and this may help a bit, but you would likely need a larger diameter implant to give you more cleavage if that is your goal.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breasts too far apart?

It appears from your photos that you have a very nice early result from your breast augmentation.  The implants are well centered under the breast mound and the two breasts are symmetrical.  How much cleavage a woman ends up with is determined by the patient's anatomy (how far apart the breasts are to start with and the width of the breast bone), the base diameter of the implant, and how the implant is positioned.  The most "natural" results are obtained by centering the implant under the breast tissue.  Unfortunately for those patients with wide-spaced breasts, this may not add as much cleavage as they in your case.

It is unlikely that the implants will come any closer together on their own.  You may be able to shift them slightly with massage.  If it is OK with your Plastic Surgeon, you may want to eliminate outward massage and do some extra inward massage.  This may give you a little more cleavage, but it will be at the sacrifice of optimal implant positioning.  If that doesn't work, the only other option is revision which would consist of more inward repositioning of the implants (again, at the sacrifice of optimal positioning beneath the breast mound) and/or replacement with a wider diameter implant.  Again, discuss all of this with you surgeon.

This is a tricky problem, and I wish you the best of luck in achieving the look you want.

Breast Spacing

Hello,Thank you for your question and photos. The spacing of your implants will depend largely on your preoperative anatomy - breast/nipple and muscle placement. You may find that the separation between your breast is less obvious as the implants continue to drop and fill out the lower breasts more. I recommend that you wait until 6 months post op to evaluate your results.All the best

Breast too far apart after Breast Augmentation surgery

Despite best efforts from the surgeon, the patient's underlying anatomies--in your case the preoperative position of your breasts and the shape of your chest--will largely determined the postop results.  Nevertheless, based on your photos it appears that your results look great overall. 

I hope that helps and good luck.

Good question. It is unlikely at this point that your breasts will come closer together. The distance between your breasts is determined by the width of your sternum (breast bone) and while implants can sometimes be put closer together surgically it runs the risk of them coming completely together and dealing with synmastia which is a different and more difficult problem to solve. If you have concerns I would suggest you book a followup with your surgeon to be reexamined. Best of luck

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Thanks for your question and pictures.  Congrats on your surgery!  It does appear that your implants are placed in a good position relative to your nipples.  If you had a large space between your breasts before surgery, improving that can be difficult.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD

Looks normal

For three weeks post surgically, your implants seem to be centered on the nipple both in height and horizontally. Over a few months, the muscle may weaken such that the implants may move towards each other a little bit. If you started out with a wide space between your breasts, even with sub glandular implants it may be difficult to completely narrow it to your satisfaction without the nipples appearing to  point outward. At this point, everything was great to me, congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS