How long after a breast augmentation can you get your nipples pierced?

Piercing

Knowing there is a potential risk of infection, if you are still adamant about having them pierced, it’s best to wait until you are completely healed from your augmentation, about 3 months. 

Infection Risk

Dear 1984shay,

My initial reaction is that it is not a very good idea to threaten the integrity of your implant with a potential infection. That being said, if you wish to proceed I would recommend a three-month delay to allow all of the swelling to recede and lessen the chance of a problem.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

How long after breast augmentation till you can pierce your nipples?

I would suggest waiting 2-3 months; however, I would highly encourage you to re-think your decision.  With a piercing, you run the risk of getting an infection or getting bacteria near the implant which could put you at higher risk for capsular contracture.  Make sure that you absolutely want them pierced before moving forward.  Good luck!

Nipple piercing after BA

In my opinion, I wouldn’t recommend getting them pierced. Even though it is low risk, there is still potential for complications and infection to occur. You really should try to reduce your risk of infection in the breast area as it can cause complications with your breast implants. Ultimately, the decision is yours and if you 100% want to get them done I would wait at least 6 weeks but remember when making the decision that even though it is a low risk procedure, there is still a chance of complications arising. I hope this helps.
Good luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nipple piercing after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question!

If a patient of mine wanted to pierce her nipples following a breast procedure, I would recommend waiting at least 4-6 weeks to let the swelling go down significantly. Definitely speak with your chosen plastic surgeon to see what their advice is as they know best about your specific case.  Following his/her post operative instructions is the best way to insure a healthy recovery- best of luck to you. 

Fred Hackney, MD

Pierced nipples

Its anecdotal but I saw a patient early in my career (20years ago) that developed horrible bilateral implant infections after piercing her nipples, she was not my patient, but it stuck with me all these years.  Wait until the capsule is completely formed around the implant, at least 3-4mo to be safe. Good luck, Jane

Proceed with caution

this is not a great idea, I have seen several pts get bad infections from piercing their nipples after breast augmentation. I guess it depends on how much you want your nipples pierced and if you are willing to "roll the dice". Generally speaking, its not a good idea. If you are going to, wait atleast 6-8 weeks for the swelling to go down then proceed with caution, I would have this conversation with YOUR surgeon prior to proceeding. 

Nipple piercing after breast augmentation

One of the main considerations here is that there is no extra swelling which may promote infection. I think it would be safe to consider nipple piercing at about six weeks postop.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Be very cautious about nipple piercing after breast implants. I saw a patient referred from another practice that had a terrible infection following nipple piercing after implants. The infection travelled down to the implants which had to be removed and she developed toxic shock syndrome but survived.

I recommend not piercing. If you must have it done under sterile conditions in your doctors office using sterilized studs made for this purpose.

Wait at least 3 months for implant final healing

Piercing Nipple After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your inquiry. Typically i advise patients to have their nipple pierced 3 weeks post surgery. This amount of time will vary depending on the type of incision used. Best to wait until the breasts heal completely.

Best of Luck!