Which would you recommend; BodyLift or Abdominoplasty?

Correct me if I am wrong. From my understanding people that have EXTRA /LOOSE skin from weight lost, etc. are good candidates for the Body Lift. I do not have any EXTRA/LOOSE skin, I have fat (stomach, hips, flanks, bra). I am considering having the abdominoplasty with lipo of the hips and flanks. I want to know why would a PS want to perform a Body Lift verses abdminoplasty with lip, since I DO NOT HAVE ANY EXTRA/LOOSE SKIN?

Body lift vs abdominoplasty + lipo

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern and agree with your assessment.
The decision is based on your expectations from the surgery, and the potential skin redundancy from the liposuction.

You are correct to say that the body lift will correct the excess skin around the body. In the case of liposuction, some patients develop saggy skin after the procedure. If your interest is to loose the inches despite the possible skin sagginess, then lipo and abdominoplasty is your procedure. If your interest is to have a nice contour all around, then body lift is what you want.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in after weight loss surgery.

Wishing you the best with your journey

Body lift vs. Tummy tuck

Hi, Fles14.  Thanks for your question.  Both body lift and tummy tuck are good procedures for body contouring.  Each patient has different body and needs.  If your main concern is abdomen and sides, liposuction of flanks/waists with tummy tuck will be a good option for you.  If you have excess skin and fat on both the abdomen and back, body lift may be better for you.  Without direct examination or photos, I cannot assess your needs properly, thus I cannot give you an educated recommendation.  Please visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon to find out which procedure would give the best outcome for you.  Best wishes!

Liposuction vs Abdominoplasty or Bodylift

In general, liposuction is adequate to remove excess adipose or fatty tissue. As the term suggests, liposuction simply 'sucks' fat out of the body through very small incisions where the cannula is inserted. These incisions are small enough to be easily hidden - usually less than a quarter of an inch. Newer technologies, such as ultrasonic or laser assisted liposuction also accomplish a certain amount of skin retraction. The key principle here being 'A CERTAIN AMOUNT' of skin retraction.

Depending on the quality of the overlying skin before the liposuction and the expected amount of fat removal- which could result in further excess skin; a plastic surgeon might recommend an abdominoplasty or a body lift. An abdominoplasty would remove the loose skin that might result from a large amount of fat removal in the abdomen. The bodylift removes skin circumferentially (from the abdomen and back, usually above the buttock area to lift the buttocks at the same time). Therefore, if the plan is to remove a large amount of fat all the way around, a body lift might be recommended.

Body Lift or Tummy Tuck

It's hard to make a recommendation for either surgery without seeing you, but what you say about loose skin versus extra aft and tissue is generally true. However thewre are weight loss patients who do not need or do not opt for a body lift, and there are other patients who have never lost that much weight, but age, multiple pregnancies, genetically loose skin, and other issues make them good candidates for a body lift.  

Its always a good idea to get several consultations. If you'd like a complimentary copy of a book I co-authored years ago about all the above procedures feel free to drop me an email and request it. 

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Body lift or abdominoplasty?

Hello and thank you for your question. You have posed an interesting question that brings up a point I deal with on my website and blogs. That is the multiple number of cosmetic terms often used erroneously. 
A lower body lift is as you have stated, an operation that lifts sagging skin in the truncated area and is always a 360 degree operation.  In my hands it also always includes an hip flap and 98% of the time a buttock auto augmentation flap. Some patients like yourself may still require a 360 degree circumferential tummy tuck without the need for a buttock or lateral thigh lift. I do these in about 20% of my non massive weight loss patients. Your ps may be suggesting that. You may also as you say be a good candidate for a routine tummy tuck with appropriate liposuction. 
Peter Fisher M.D. 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lower Body Lift or Abdominoplasty?

• As you mention, a lower bodylift is an excellent operation to help patients with extra skin of the abdomen, buttocks, lateral thighs, and waist after major weight loss.
  • This operation give patients a flatter abdomen, narrower waist, and improved buttocks aesthetics as well. 
  • Without seeing any photos, I cannot tell you why someone recommended a body lift vs. an abdominoplasty. 

Body Lift vs. Tummy Tuck

To give you any meaningful advice would require a formal physical exam.  During the in-person consultation, your board certified plastic surgeon will assess your anatomy, your skin quality, and location of excess fat and your abdominal wall anatomy as well.  After reviewing your goals and health status, proper treatment options can be recommended.  

A common first line of attack for patients who have lost weight is a body lift procedure. Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy = lower body lift. This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).  Again, a physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations. Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Body lift vs Abdominoplasty

The test of the lower body lift is to examine the skin excess in the central area of the back, the sides. I like to examine this while asking the patient to bend over to see the amount of excess skin. 

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS