Does the body hold on to fat more easily within the first few months post lipo because of the loss of fat cells? (photos)

I've always had a skinny but hourglass body. I recently got liposculpture and a fat transfer to my hips to emphasize my curves. It's been a week since my procedure and I look great and feel great. I miss my old diet though, and since I've aways had a good figure, I'm having trouble convincing myself to stick to the post op diet. I was told not to eat fish, fats, or sugar. But can't I eat what I'm craving just once a week??

Staying away from fish fat and sugar has NO BASIS IN SCIENCE

Key factors in the healing of any wound are nutrition and vitamin supplements.  There are specially formulated vitamins that are designed to optimize your healing that we use from Vitamedica.  In addition, we use Arnica and Bromelian to reduce the swelling and bruising.  Before and after surgery, nutrition is a key component that is overlooked by almost every patient and surgeon.  After the operation, your calorie and protein requirements are increased.  We design a nutritional regimen for each patient which is provided to them during the preoperative teaching.  In order to meet the calorie and protein requirements after surgery, the patients typically supplement using protein shakes.  Calorie and protein intake are recorded on a log that we provide and review at the postoperative visits.  The combination of homeopathic medicines, vitamins supplementation, and adequate calorie and protein intake are critical to the wound healing process.  Prior to surgery, we ask the patients to stop all of their own supplements as some can cause problems with bleeding during and after surgery.

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. You should discuss with your board certified surgeon as you remain on the healthiest diet that you can. Please consider SculpSure as a supplement to your weight loss goals, as SculpSure can vanquish up to 25% of your stubborn fat in the subcutaneous areas of your belly and flanks while allowing you a smooth recovery where you can return to your daily routine right after the procedure.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat cells can develop after liposuction if a lot of weight is gained

Hello Bad Bunny,Liposuction removes fat cells permanently. The fat cells that are removed by liposuction can never come back, however, if the patient gains a significant amount of weight, then new fat cell can develop. With a small weight gain, existing fat cells simply get bigger by accumulating more fat within the existing cell. However, with an increase of more than 10% of body weight, one can expect new fat cell development in all areas of the body, including areas previously treated by liposuction. As an adult gains larger amounts of weight, increasing numbers of fat cells (lipocytes) are formed from existing pleuripotential connective tissue cells by a process of differentiation. Existing connective tissue cells first change into immature fat cells.  As for the prescribed diet poLIPst-op, it’s important to stick the prohibition to avoid food high in saturated fat (ex. Fast food, fried food, baked goods, fatty meats and full –fat dairy products.  Same goes for processed foods with unhealthy Trans fats.  Instead, eat healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat sources of protein such as lean meats, fish and legumes, to promote healing and to maintain your new look.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Lipo

First, your shape issues are most likely from swelling, not weight gain.  This swelling can take some time to go down, but simple things like good compression, avoidance of too much salt, and the proper compression garment can really help. Lymphatic massage can also go a long way to decrease swelling.
You should maintain the diet and exercise program you had before surgery to maintain your body fat content.  I personally do not understand why you would be told to avoid certain foods, but ask about this.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

It is important to diet and exercise post-liposuction to maintain your results. I suggest following up with your surgeon if you have post-operative concerns. There is also swelling that is resolved with Vanqish, venus legacy, and cellutone treatments we do in our practice.  Best, Dr. Emer

Does the body hold on to fat more easily within the first few months post lipo because of the loss of fat cells?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction

After liposuction you will experience swelling and bruising.  It takes up to 6 months for the swelling to completely resolve.  It is important to maintain a healthy diet post op but your body's metabolism should remain constant.

John Burns, MD