Blood pressure - I would like to know is it wise to get a tummy tuck while having hypertension high blood pressure?

Hypertension risk for abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question. Yes, uncontrolled hypertension can increase your risk of bleeding and hematoma around the time of surgery. However, stable, well controlled or treated hypertension should not significantly increase your risk of surgery. It is not unusual to see slightly elevated blood pressures in the perioperative period related to anxiety or discomfort. Blood pressure is monitored very closely around the time of surgery and usually easily controlled with medication by the anesthesiologist or anesthetist. 

Tummy Tuck

Hello, thanks for your question, it is a very important one. I have had patients with hypertension that had had a tummy tuck in my practice, and what I can tell you is that as long as you blood pressure is well managed by your cardiologist or internist, there should not be a problem in order to have the procedure you desire. 

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey! 

Respectfully, 

Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon 

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Blood pressure

Its important to make sure that your hypertension (high blood pressure) is very well controlled.  Your primary care MD or internist can be the best resource for this.   In addition, your surgeon and anesthesiologist will likely require an EKG prior to surgery.  So if your blood pressure is well controlled, then you should be OK to proceed with your tummy tuck.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options. Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Hypertension and tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. I have many patients that I see that have hypertension. The first thing I ask them is how well is it controlled and what their blood pressure runs on average. If their blood pressure is still higher than I would like I have them see their primary care physician to see if their blood pressure medication can be adjusted for better control. If the blood pressure is then under control the surgery can be performed. If a patient's blood pressure is well controlled but happens to increase slightly during surgery, which can happen sometimes, then we can administer medication to help bring it down. Blood pressure control is important after surgery because if blood pressure goes above normal this can increase the risk of bleeding as well as other things. If it would make you feel more comfortable, you can go to your PCP and get a check up to see how your health is in general and to see if your BP is controlled well. Hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Having the illness called "hypertension" will not prevent you from having a safe TT AS LONG AS your blood pressure has been normalized by medication. But if your blood pressure is high you will need to postpone any surgery until it has been  reduced to normal levels and maintained at the normal level for a few weeks.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

TT and HTN

Thank you for your question. As long as your blood pressure is controlled it is safe to do Tummy tuck. You need to be assessed by your physician for overall your health status. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Tummy tuck and Hypertension

Thanks for your question. If your hypertension is controlled on appropriate medications then you should be able to have a tummy tuck if you are otherwise a good candidate. If you are currently not controlled then you should get you BP under control before any surgery. 

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with high blood pressure?

Well controlled hypertension is not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery and/or other elective plastic surgical procedures. Always best to check with your primary care physician for “medical clearance” prior to surgery. Managing your anti hypertensive medications around the time of surgery will be important. 

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Hypertension

WISE? aesthetic / cosmetic surgery is for healthy patients. And if the patient has any condition must be longer explicitly controlled and authorized by their specialist. Go for a board certified plastic surgeon.

Regards

Shailyn Marmol, MD