Is bleeding after hematoma removal normal? I am frustrated and don't know what to do (Photo)

Had a BA on may 2016, removal of right implant due to infection on June. Had my implantsl back in at the end of October and got a hematoma... got the hematoma surgically removed with local anesthesia(Thursday) and im still bleeding. Bruises are gone,no fever, but my skin is getting red. Am i getting an infection?? I cant deal with this emotional stress anymore...i get to see my dr again on Friday to see if it needs to be removed again...opinion??? All i want is my BA :(

Bleeding

Good morning,

It could just be a little residual leaking from the pocket post-hematoma evacuation, but do follow up closely with your PS.

Hematoma?

It is difficult to say from the limited photo views that you posted. Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Am I OK?

It's hard to tell from your photograph what's going on. I'm assuming by bleeding you mean from the incision or drainage side of the hematoma. Your plastic surgeon will best be able to assess whether there's any signs or symptoms related to a recurrent breast infection. A white blood cell count might be helpful as well. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Bleeding after hematoma removal

Hi, Jessica

Sorry to hear your problems.  The "bleeding" may be due to residual surgical fluid, seroma, or hematoma.  Although it is difficult to appreciate the skin "getting red" based on your photos, you should contact your plastic surgeon and be evaluated in person.  The redness may be due to skin irritation, skin infection, or deeper tissue infection.

Good luck.

Is bleeding after hematoma removal normal?

Thanks for your question. Very sorry for all that you are going through. I think that you are referring to leaking from the incision site when you say bleeding. As long as you are not having significant swelling of the breast following evacuation of the hematoma, you should be fine. Hopefully all is stable. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD