Belly button scar from tummy tuck, will this go away? Can it be revised? (photo)

Had a tummy tuck 9/4/15. My belly butting is bothering me. It's pinkish/reddish on the bottom of my belly button and it's driving me crazy! I haven't seen my surgeon in about 2 months but want to go back and see if this can be revised. Any feedback would be really appreciated!!

Belly button scar from tummy tuck, will this go away? Can it be revised?

Please give yourself time to heal. It may take you more than 6 months for yours to heal completely. Visit your surgeon, I'm certain she/he will offer a revision. Best wishes,

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Belly button scar

Thanks for your question and picture. I agree that belly button scars can be quite disconcerting due to visibility compared to the other scars in a TT. Your belly button looks a bit on the small side with some redness inferiorly. I would encourage you to discuss the with your plastic surgeon. There are many ways to improve the belly button scaring in the office under numbing shots. Best of luck!

Scarring after Tummy Tuck

Thank you for the inquiry!

A scar can never be completely removed but the appearance of the scar can sometimes be improved through excising the scar and then performing another complex closure. Scarring is an unfortunate consequence of having surgery so it can be a very important factor in a patient’s decision to have surgery. Be sure to research for a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience.

Everything can be "revised"

I know it isn't fun, but scars take a long time to mature and finalize. I would tell you to give it a year before making any decisions on revisions etc. In the meantime, there are some scar products and strategies like using paper tape to improve things. I typically like to do those in the first three months instead of after though. Father Time is your friend. Try not to focus on how they look now- instead, focus on how much better your contour is. I wish there was a magic cure or something more to tell you.  Hope this helps.

-JGH

Belly button scar

Thank you for your question. Scar is in late maturing phase. scar therapy with gel or other creams may work. Please talk to your PS

Thank you for your question.  Revision can always be considered after cosmetic surgery.  However, I would suggest that you speak with your surgeon regarding your concerns before setting on that path.  Other non-surgical options can be considered like scar therapy before committing to surgical revision.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty

It appears that the scar is flat and smooth and the umbilicus has a good shape. To me it looks like it is the redness that is the most bothersome. Sometimes there are scar gels which can improve this or perhaps a little sunshine this summer can help darken the entire area to make it less noticeable. I would talk to your plastic surgeon about this.

Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button scar from TT, will his go away? Can it be revised?

Thank you for your question.It is difficult to see from your photo. It could be revised, the scar needs to be assessed by the surgeon to determine if the same type of healing will happen again. In addition, you can attempt to apply scar therapy recommended by your surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD