When will I be able to go back to work after the procedure and do I need to stay 10 days?

I'm 37 years old going to have surgery on November 14 with Dr Dra Fatima Almonte I will be getting a tummy tuck full back IPO and BBL i've talked to a couple of people that have gotten surgeries done with this doctor I'm very nervous so my concerns are how long will it be before I am able to go back to work after the procedure is done and is it necessary to stay to 10 days there at the recovery home

Returning to Work After a Tummy Tuck and BBL

Thank you very much for your question. In general, most patients are back to work in two weeks or less, following a tummy tuck. However, every surgeon has their own recovery protocol, which will depend on the technique(s) performed, the extent of correction, and the individual patient’s medical history. It is important for you to follow your surgeon’s recommendations, as he/she knows the details about your specific procedure combination. If you have concerns about your upcoming surgery or the recovery requirements, I would suggest scheduling an appointment with your operating surgeon to discuss these issues.

Post-Op Activity

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle. If you have any further questions about your post-op healing then your own surgeon would be the best person to see face-to-face for advice. 

Back to work after tummy tuck

There are too many variables to answer your question without further information.  What kind of work do you do?  How much physical exertion in required for your job?  Additionally, since you are having other procedures with the tummy tuck, it is most important to have a full discussion with your surgeon.  Talking with patients who have had your exact combination of procedures will complete the answer to your concerns.

Recovery should be defined by your surgeon

Thanks for your question. Your surgeon is the only one who can accurately give you expected time for recovery. If you have discussed the procedure with patients that have had the same thing done by your surgeon then they too can provide feedback. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD