Do BA change the appearance of your nipples/areola? (Photo)

I am 6 weeks post op and very happy with my result. My right nipple looks a little strange; it kind of looks like I shaved all the bumps on the inner portion of my areola. Will this change back to normal over time? If it doesn't I am ok with it.

Probably temporary

The changes that you are noticing in your nipple are most likely due to swelling and should resolve with time. You are still pretty early in your recovery. Be patient and kind to yourself as your body continues to heal. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Do BA change the appearance of your nipples/areola?

I appreciate your question.

The changes that you see are most likely temporary. The small glands in the areola around the nipple are called Montgomery glands.  When the innervation to the areola is altered, they will appear flatter until the innervation returns to normal.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Nipple changes 6 Weeks

Thank you for your question. Local swelling and irritation can cause temporary skin changes and sometimes the nipples can appear puffy or reddened temporarily. They will likely return to normal over the next few months.

Take care

Change in Nipple Areola Complex

Dear htxmom:
     Thank you for your question. The changes that you see are probably temporary. The small glands in the areola around the nipple are called Montgomery glands and when the innervation to the areola is altered, they will appear flatter until the innervation returns to normal. If the areola stretch or swell  due to the implant, they will also appear flatter, but this may be more permanent. As swelling decreases over time the Montgomery glands will change. Good luck and I hope this helps!

I suspect that the changes that you see are temporary. The small glands around the nipple are called Montgomery glands and when the innervation to the areola is altered, they will appear flatter until the innervation returns to normal. If the areolae have stretched due to the implant, they will also appear flatter, but this may be more permanent.

Nipple changes

It is very common to see changes in the nipple areolar complex in the first 6 to 8 weeks after surgery. As the areola stretches to accommodate the new implant, the topography may change. as the swelling continues to settle you will see changes in the nipple and it will likely take on more of the same appearance it had before surgery. These changes can take up to six months. At that point, the app of the areola will probably be what you will be left with going forward. 

Areolas change with breast implant

Congratulations on your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

In some occasions the areolas change with the implant. The areolas are elastic and the force of the implant favors stretching in the long term. In the majority of cases the change is desirable to keep the relation between the new augmented mount and the areola.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Appearance of nipple areolar complex

Your nipple areolar complex does not look strange...
Without seeing your pre-op photos, I cannot comment whether the change is normal or not.
As you may know, it will take up to 6 months for implants/breasts to settle and change.
Good luck with your continued recovery.

Probably Normal Areolar Changes.

It is normal to have some swelling which can cause the temporary loss of normal areolar architecture. The areola may be a little shiny and a little flat when it is swollen. The areola may be a little shiny and a little flat when it is swollen  

Additionally,  with the placement of breast implants, the areola, which is part of the breast envelope, will enlarge slightly, usually a few millimeters over time.  

Changes in areola after breast aug?

You may be noticing changes simply due to swelling. Best to give your body time to heal fully so you can assess your final results at 4-6 months post op. Good luck!!