Hello, can anyone please assist me with the following: Gastric Balloon Removal and liposuction.

Hello can anyone please assist me with the following. I having liposuction and tummy tuck done on the November 20th 2016. However I have the gastric balloon and would like to remove it on November 18th 2016. Would the removal of this balloon pose any risk as I have liposuction and tummy tuck like two days after. Much thanks

Abdominal liposuction and removal of gastric balloon

Thank you for your question about your gastric balloon removal and abdominal liposuction.

• This does not sound like a good plan for you.
  • Please have your bariatric surgeon and your plastic surgeon talk to each other -
  • They need to discuss the best approach for you and make a recommendation to you.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Two operations in 3 days

Hi nm

Risk assessment can only be made with complete understanding of your history, lab work, and physical exam.  

My feeling is that the timing is not good and both are elective procedures in which you would want to optimize all variables.

I would consider putting more time between procedures, but check with both doctors before deciding, as they know you best.

Good luck.

Multiple surgeries within a small time period

The only issue here is that you will be put under general anesthesia twice, within a small time frame. This is something to discuss with your anesthesiologist, as there are risks of anesthesia. You can also discuss this with your plastic surgeon and see if he/she and your bariatric surgeon could work together and have all the procedures done on the same day. Otherwise you can always try to change the dates, so that you have a bigger time frame between the two general anesthetics. You have to realize that both of these procedures are elective and there is no reason to do something that would put your body at higher risks for recovery. Good Luck!  

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon