I'm considering getting my arms done through liposuction or arm lift. Which would be better for me? (Photo)

Would an arm lift or arm liposuction be better?

Thank you for your question and photos in regards to your upper arms.
Based on your photos, you have Type III arms. Type III arms are a classification for patients who have excess skin AND fat of the upper arm that extends from the armpit to the elbow.

The best treatment for excess upper arm skin AND fat would be an arm lift or brachioplasty. At the beginning of this procedure, upper arm liposuction would be performed. Through upper arm liposuction, excess upper arm fat is removed. Then, an incision is made from the armpit to the elbow. Excess upper arm skin and more fat is then directly removed. The arm lift or brachioplasty is performed under General Anesthesia and takes approximately 2 to 3 hours. The recovery takes approximately 2 to 3 weeks. Your arm lift or brachioplasty scar will fade with time. Silicone and compression garments are very important to minimize excessive scarring and swelling.

In your particular case, an arm lift or brachioplasty is much better than just arm liposuction alone. You would not be happy with just arm liposuction. Arm liposuction only removes arm fat, not skin. If you were to have just arm liposuction, you would be left with significant hanging arm skin, like a Shar-Pei dog. The upper arm fat would be gone, but the excess arm skin would remain.

Good luck! I hope this answers your questions regarding arm like a suction versus arm lifts or brachioplasties.
If you have any other questions, please not hesitate to contact my office.

Arm lift or lipo?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided pictures as well. Based on your photos, you are a good candidate for an arma lift, because liposuction only will help with the fat on your arm, and what you really need is to have that extra skin removed. 

Arm lift is a surgical procedure that:

• Reduces excess sagging skin that droops downward
  • Tightens and smoothes the underlying supportive tissue that defines the shape of the upper arm
  • Reduces localized pockets of fat in the upper arm region
Fluctuations in weight, growing older, and heredity can cause your upper arms to have a drooping, sagging appearance. This is a condition that cannot be corrected through exercise.

Arm lift surgery may be right for you if the underside of your upper arms are sagging or appear loose and full due to excess skin and fat.

I recommend to seek for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a person evaluation and to discuss your goals. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Arm lift

Based on your photos, you are a good candidate for the arm lift.  This procedure can remove excess fat and skin from the arms.  The result is a more contoured, more proportionate arm.  The problem with liposuction alone is that it only removes excess fat, the skin is not removed and you are therefore left with loose, hanging skin after the procedure.
I would recommend visiting a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss the pros and cons of this procedure.
Best of luck to you.

Camille Cash, MD

You are certainly a good candidate for an arm lift rather than a liposuction. The problem in your arms is excess skin and fat. 
Liposuction only, will only remove the fat and leave you with the hanging skin. 
saying that, Brachioplasty is considered a more major procedure with a long scar across your arm. Probably also more expensive. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS

Arm Lift vs. Liposuction

I agree with some of the other responses so far.  Difficult to say with 100% certainty without being able to examine you personally but from what I can see, liposuction with do an excellent job of removing the majority of the excess fat but unfortunately will leave a considerable amount of excess skin.  Some of this will retract following liposuction but this can vary widely.  If you are set on one surgery only, I would recommend the combined liposuction and lift.  If you have a bit more flexibility and understand that if the result with liposuction alone was less than what you wanted, you could always go ahead with a lift at a later time.  Best wishes!

Michael S. Lofgren, MD
Newport News Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift versus Arm Liposuction

Thank you for your question and photo.  It is difficult to answer your question despite your photo without examining your skin quality.  I see a number of stretch marks on your photo.  If that is correct, then liposuction will not be a great option for your skin quality.  That means, your skin will not contract much after having liposuction and then it will hang and sag.  As it is, your upper arm is about 2 x the size of the elbow region. Based on your photos, if my assessment is correct, then you are best served by having an arm lift in my opinion.  Best of luck.

Liposuction

Arm lift will get you better result. However there will be a scar. Arm scars do not fare well.  Accept lesser improvement and have a liposuction.  In my opinion that is better option for you.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Arm lift vs. lipo

I would recommend that you try liposuction alone and see how much skin retraction you are able to have.  The worst case scenario is that you would have to have an arm lift later.  The best case is that you would have satisfactory results and can avoid a long, ugly scar.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty versus Liposuction

Liposuction works well to remove the excess fat, but will not tighten the skin.  It appears from the pictures that you have excess skin that would probably be best addressed with surgical excision in addition to liposuction.  Please see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in person to assess your individual needs and to discuss options.  Good Luck.

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction versus arm lift

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo.  I would recommend that you discuss with your plastic surgeon the pros/cons of liposuction with an arm lift vs liposuction alone.  The main difference would be whether want some skin laxity reduction in addition to the volume reduction.  There are several different arm lift possibilities.  The main thing to consider is the trade-off between incision and shape.