After two procedures I ended up with two different size implants was this negligence on the PS part? (Photos)

First procedure, PS put 600 on right and 650 on left because the left was naturally smaller. After two weeks of significant pain the right breast was not dropping at all. PS suggested it may have been fluid/blood or a ligament not allowing it to go down. Had to undergo a second procedure,he claimed it was neither and that the implant was simply to large for my right breast to which he proceded to lessen the size to 500! I now have a diff of 150cc. Now I'm worried they'll be obviously different

Different implant sizes

It is difficult to answer your question without having examined you pre-operatively or having seen your pre-op photos.  If your breasts were asymmetric, you would require different implant sizes to have a better symmetry.  It is not uncommon to use different implant sizes when patients have different breast size or chest projection.  Please share your concern with your plastic surgeon and follow-up with him closely.

In general, it takes at least 3 months for implants to settle in their pockets.

Good luck with your recovery.

Concerns about breast asymmetry after breast augmentation surgery…

I am sorry to hear about your concerns but this is not the best forum to discuss "negligence".  Although I do not know the details of your case, I would venture to guess that your plastic surgeon has every interest to achieve a nice outcome and a happy patient. Why not give him/her the benefit of the doubt and assume that he/she chose different volumes in order to improve your symmetry (possibly based on intraoperative findings, sizes, and/or measurements).   At the very least, why not ask your plastic surgeon about the rationale behind the decision-making, instead of seeking online assessment for plastic surgeons who do not know the details of your situation?

At this point, your best course of action: time and patience.  Allow yourself at least six months before evaluating the outcome of the procedure performed. Hopefully at that time you will be pleased with the results of the procedure and instead of discussing "negligence", you will send your plastic surgeon a thank you note for using good judgment. Best wishes.

150 cc difference in breast implant

It's hard for me to give you an opinion without a before photos but I would wait it out at least 6 months and then revisit the issue with your physician. That is a decent amount of difference but it just depends where you started. Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Is using two different size implants normal

Hi and thank you for the question. There are three ways you can deal with  patients who have a breast size asymmetry: ignore it, use two different size implants, or remove breast tissue from the larger breast during the augmentation. It is not at all uncommon to use different size implants. I have personally had patients whose implants are different by over 200 mL. It really depends on the specifics of the case. Remember that until you are about six months out your results are still evolving. The best thing to do is continue to see your plastic surgeon and share your concerns.

If you are concerned about the way your case was handled, my suggestion would be to get all of your records and have a consultation a second plastic surgeon who can give you more insight with all the information available. Good luck to you.

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon