How accurate are the sizers to actual outcome? Is 286/304 too big for my frame, making me top heavy? (photos)

I want a small C or full B. I feel these 286/304cc sizers are too large for my frame. I'm 5'5, 105 lbs and afraid of looking top heavy. In my opinion these sizers do not look good, but will the projection be less once they're inside? Going under the muscle, moderate plus, silicone.

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Yes and No.

How accurate are the sizers to actual breast augmentation surgery outcome?

Although useful as rough guidelines and as communication tools, all the modalities currently used to predict what breast implant size/profile will best achieve a patient's goals with breast augmentation are NOT very accurate, in my opinion. The use of the rice test, sizers placed beneath a patient's bra, goal pictures, computer imaging technology… are all useful, but not necessarily as accurate as one would hope. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "full B, small C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

In my opinion, nothing will replace careful verbal preoperative communication with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full-length mirror along with the use of as many "communication" tools” listed above.
In my practice, I use all of the above modalities and then use intraoperative temporary sizers to help determine the best breast implant size/profile to achieve a patient's specific goals as closely as possible. For this reason, I think it is helpful to have the entire range of breast implant sizes/profiles available in the operating room.
Achieving realistic expectations prior to proceeding to the operating room is also an important part of the preoperative communication process. Patients should be aware that the results of their breast augmentation will not necessarily match exactly what they are visualizing with anyone of the above-mentioned communication tools.
 Given your questions and concerns, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon. This additional time spent will be helpful in the communication process and in alleviating some of your anxiety. Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the planned procedure.

286/304 cc implants?

Thanks for your question.  At the least one would need to see you without a sizer or a top/bra to determine approximately how much loose skin you have to accept an implant.  Those two sizes are not excessively large for most people but it's possible that you would need slightly smaller or even slightly larger implants.  I find that the best and most accurate way to determine the best size is to see how sizers look inside your new implant pocket at the time of the surgery.  Allow your surgeon to test different sizers to approximate most accurately the best implant size to match your (realistic) goals.  That has worked best for me based on three decades of experience.

Watch the video above for more info about how I choose the best implant for my patients and regards,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

How accurate are the sizers to actual outcome? Is 286/304 too big for my frame, making me top heavy?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Implant sizers work very well for patients to estimate what their appearance will be after implantation, and I would recommend selecting the implants that look the best in a supporting garment and tight fitting top or shirt to get the closest visual idea.  Without seeing your beginning size it is difficult to estimate an appropriate size but at your height and weight these would likely leave you with a larger breast cup size than desired. Hope this helps.

Implant Size Choice

My patients find that trying on the implant sizers in the office with a thin, non padded bra is the best way to get an accurate idea of results. The implants do often tend to look a little smaller once in and settled under the muscle.

Your photos do appear to have been taken from a high angle so this could be affecting your impression. I recommend that you talk to your Plastic Surgeon about size options again if you wish and perhaps try sizing for longer periods of time at home with rice sizers. You can measure, account for a little shrinkage and try the volumes on with your regular clothing at home to see if you adjust to the change. If you still want to see smaller options that is completely up to you and ultimately, you need to feel satisfied with your choice. Your Plastic Surgeon will most likely be happy to walk you  through the process of choosing.

All the best

Sizers and outcome

I find that the Mentor sizing system give the best prediction of the result.  So far, I haven't had anyone say yet that they felt that their augmentation was too big.  If I get any complaints, it's "I wish I had gone a little bigger."  We spend quite a bit of time finding the right size of implant for our patients.  Once the final volume is made, I select the profile that will fit your frame.  that is a key idea. To have the implant fit your frame, vs just slamming in a implant.  So there is a little bit of engineering involved in the selection process.  
You do sound like you have a small frame. So, I wouldn't be surprised if a smaller implant would be sufficient to give you a full B cup bra.  
I would encourage you to rediscuss with your PS about your concerns.  They are your best resource since they have examined you.  It is impossible for us on RS to give you a better answer without seeing you in person.  

Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Breast augmentation - is 286/304 too heavy for me?

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

• You are of average height but slim - so implants will tend to look larger on you. 
  • On the other hand, a 286/304 cc implant will usually not be too large for a woman of average height.
  • I suggest you find a bra of the kind you want to fill out -
  • Return to the surgeon and see what size will fill the bra.
  • Yes, sizers sit on the chest and can project more than they will when inside your body.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Sizers

Thank you for your question and photos.
It is difficult to comment on the accuracy of the sizers without knowing the make and dimensions of the sizers. Sizers are meant to be used as a guide, so measurements such as projection can be slightly variable.
 I would advise you to go with what you like the look and feel of as breast size is very subjective. It may be advisable to try the sizers again but bring a relative or a friend with you for advice and maybe try them in different clothes that you typically wear.
Good luck

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Risks and complications increase with larger breast implants

Hi,
Sizers are not accurate in determining final outcome. Initially, an implant that is placed under the muscle needs time to stretch the muscle to appreciate its size. So, yes implants placed completely under the muscle will initially appear smaller. Without knowing your current bra size - I am unable to give you sound advice as to cc's = cup size. Please know that implants are not lifetime devices and as such are subject to the laws of physics, weight changes, pregnancy, breast feeding, etc. Once you commit to them, you are also committing to revisionary surgery in the future. Smaller implants are more stable in the long run.
Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

The Right Breast Implant Size for You

As much as it's important to know what size bra you currently wear, the strap size is important to know as well. It affects the diameter of the cup and subsequently the diameter of the #breast implant that you choose. In my practice, about 15-20% of the patients are good candidates for silicone #shapedimplants.
This may provide some insight. If a woman wears a size 36 AB bra and would like to be a C cup, which is the average size that women wear and the average size bra that is sold, she needs a volume of approximately 350 to 390 cc to make that change. This becomes less if she's wearing a 34 bra, because it has a smaller strap size and the cups have a smaller diameter. A smaller diameter implant would then be a volume of approximately 300 to 350 cc. In the same way if she was more petite, maybe a double zero or size one and wore a 32 AB bra, then to become a 32C cup she would only require about 250 to 300 cc. The profile is determined by the amount of projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the size of the implant and size of your chest.
Other factors which contribute to the outcome are #size, #shape, and #profile.
The #profile is determined by the amount of #projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the #size of the implant and size of your chest. Also, the placement or incision location will also have an effect on profile.
Your Plastic Surgeon will measure you to determine the best shape, size and placement of the #implants to be used. Lastly, another important element to a satisfying result of your #augmentation is realistic #expectations.