Why does the A/C in the car make my breast feel tightness or weird?

Whenever I'm cold, especially if the AC in the car is on, my breast feel like they tighten up or something to that effect. Is that normal, it's like they're more sensitive.

Hypersensitivity in the early post op period including to cold is not uncommon and will settle over a few months

Cold sensitivity after breast augmentation

You are experiencing cold sensitivity – cold hyperesthesia after breast augmentation and this is a frequently described experience, so you should not worry, especially if you had your surgery recently.

Your experience can be categorized into the sensory changes patients experience after breast augmentation such as hypersensitivity to touch, pressure, cold and warmth, from clothes, and from showering. Changes in sensation occur early in the recovery period because large implants may press up against sensory nerves or blood vessels near the breast tissue leading to either increased or decreased sensitivity. The good thing in your case is that you have sensation, while 1 in 7 women getting breast augmentation may not.  

Similar to yourself, women with cold sensitivity report firmness and tightness of the breasts in cold temperatures.

Two changes in your body explain what you are experiencing. One, the breast tissue may have reduced blood supply because the implant stretches the breast skin resulting in less warm blood reaching the breast skin and surrounding area. Two, because of reduced blood supply to the skin, the chest muscles respond by contracting and causing tightness of the breasts, especially with under the muscle implant placement. Our muscles aid in regulating our body’s temperature by shivering and contracting, and thereby they recruit more warm blood in the area.

Nevertheless, the good news is that for most people changes in sensation are temporary, and everything returns to normal in a year or sooner. This is because your breasts stretch to accommodate your implants, your sensory nerves and tiny blood vessels will be less compressed over time. So until your breasts adopt to the implants, your chest muscles will accommodate by contracting and increasing the blood supply to the area.  

If you are still concerned, please follow-up with your plastic surgeon for reassurance. Always consult with them first, and their instructions should take precedence over everything else you read here.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Sensitivity

Our skin is sensitive to temperature changes and often, post op, breasts/nipples can feel either numb or hyper-sensitive for a time. This will typically normalize a few months after surgery.

All the best 

Breast augmentation healing

Great question.  I am not sure anyone will be able to definitively tell you exactly why you are getting the sensations that you describe.  I am assuming that the cold air consciously or subconsciously makes you tighten up your chest muscles which in turn leads you to feel certain sensations with regards to your breasts.  If your implants are under the muscle this is more likely to be the case.  It will be interesting to know if you have the same sensation if you step outside and it is cold.  Otherwise, I do not think there is anything specific to be concerned about and that this will go away with time.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast implant sensitivity to cold

Thank you for asking about your breasts' cold sensitivity

• Women living in Alaska report the same reaction to cold as you are experiencing.
  • It is a normal response in many women after breast augmentation.
  • The implants stretch the breast skin - widening the area between the blood vessels and thinning the skin.
  • Although these changes are slight, there is less tissue and less warm blood flowing to keep the area warm.
  • This at least is my explanation - I do not know of any research into this.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS