6 weeks post op breast augmentation, right side dropped lower than the left side. (Photo)

Ita been 6 weeks since breast augmentation, I have done my massages like the doctor asked me to everyday. Today I noticed my right breast dropped a lot lower than my left side. The right nipple looks wider than left side, I'm worried it fell out of place. My left side is a little harder and also have less sensitivity . Should I be worried here is the outcome .

6 weeks post op breast augmentation, right side dropped lower than the left side.

I understand your concern, and would be somewhat hesitant as well. The good news is that this is a very common thing to see after BA surgery.  Im not sure we can even call it a problem because so many patients deal with it.  Think of the final position of your implants as a finish line.  It is not uncommon for the right breast to beat the left breast to the finish line or the opposite.  It is more amazing to me that they ever reach it at the same time. Your implants should both settle at the natural fold in another month or two.  Just be patient, the left implant will almost always finish the race, its just a little slower to arrive.

Idaho Falls Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts after augmentation

Hi, whence
It is not uncommon for implants to settle at different rate.  You are still early in your recovery process. Please allow at least 3-6 months to see the final outcome of surgery.
In addition, it is normal to have some asymmetry between breasts depending on your pre-operative state. 
Please talk with your plastic surgeon to share your concern.  He/she should be able to allay your concern.
Good luck with your continued recovery.

Hello, thank you for your question and photos. I'd like to address your #concern. Six weeks #post-op #BA is still early within the #healing process. – The final #appearance, #shape, and #movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to #firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result. In my opinion, it would benefit you to contact your #BCPS and discuss your concerns. Be sure to follow his #recovery #protocol which is designed for you. Best wishes!

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

6 weeks post op

It can take up to three months for the implant to come down. Conitnue with your surgeons recommendations. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Differing breast shape after breast augmentation

The implant on the left is too high and at this point I doubt it will drop sufficiently to match the right.  You will most likely need corrective surgery to get the right implant in the proper position.

Thank you for your question and photo. You are still early in recovery and the hiogher breast may "catch up " with the lower side.

Your nipple looks lower on the lower side. Please check your pre op photos. If the breast and nipple was lower before surgery it will continue to be lower and the implant will drop faster on the lower side.

See your surgeon and ask if a Bando will help.

Breast not dropping

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation - worried about result

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • It is common for one implant to settle early -
  • Your implant on the right seems to be doing well -
  • The left one will settle in time.
  • It is always wise to have your own surgeon check you to be sure all is well.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Uneven

Good morning!

I understand your concern- there is a difference in where your implants are settling.  The good news is that it is still early- it can take several months for your implants to find their final settling place.  It would also be helpful to see how asymmetric your breasts were before surgery to see if perhaps some sort of ancillary lifting procedure should be performed on your lower side.

I am a little concerned that the higher breast feels firmer than the lower breast- I would check with your PS to be srue you are not getting a capsular contracture.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS